The Student Room Group

Is a biomedical engineering degree worth it?

I have the chance to go into both biomedical and chemical engineering, but I've heard that there are barely any jobs in biomedical, making me edge closer to chemical, kind of a shame as biomedical interests me more.

Is it true about the lack of jobs/money? This may decide which course I take.
Reply 1
Original post by dondonj
I have the chance to go into both biomedical and chemical engineering, but I've heard that there are barely any jobs in biomedical, making me edge closer to chemical, kind of a shame as biomedical interests me more.

Many of my mates did chem eng. A couple of them ended up in pharmaceutics. Can't speak for biomedical but all the chem eng people are rolling in money.
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud
Many of my mates did chem eng. A couple of them ended up in pharmaceutics. Can't speak for biomedical but all the chem eng people are rolling in money.

That's great to hear considering my goal after chemical engineering is pharmaceuticals lol
Original post by dondonj

I don’t know how big biomedical engineering industry is, but I would ask why are you do the degree?

1) you have a passion for specifically biomedical applications

Or

2) an interest in improving human health & technology/physics and want to combine the two.

If it’s number 1, go into biomedical engineering. If its no. 2 I would encourage you to consider mechanical engineering (mechanical will open doors to work in the technology related to medical / health sector from an engineering perspective... for example I know mechanical engineers working on surface coatings of surgery implants, I know some who work on improving efficiency on technology p for things like MRI machines (such as reducing operating costs so more scanners can be made and operated for the same budget), just food-for-thought.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest