The Student Room Group

oxbridge or open college

I wanted to take distance learning for the A levels (bio,chem,math) and I am undecided to which of the online college should I enrol. Any advice?
Original post by raffie
I wanted to take distance learning for the A levels (bio,chem,math) and I am undecided to which of the online college should I enrol. Any advice?

Online college? I don’t understand?
Original post by raffie

You'd be wasting £2,000 per A-Level with Distance Learning organisations?! :s-smilie:

Why not just buy the textbooks and work through them and use YouTube and Google for endless resources.

There are a lot of high quality websites and YouTube channels that you can use to achieve A* and A grades!!! :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by thegeek888
You'd be wasting £2,000 per A-Level with Distance Learning organisations?! :s-smilie:

Why not just buy the textbooks and work through them and use YouTube and Google for endless resources.

There are a lot of high quality websites and YouTube channels that you can use to achieve A* and A grades!!! :wink:

If I do not attend distance learning i am wondering how should I do practicals specially for the science subjects?
Original post by raffie
If I do not attend distance learning i am wondering how should I do practicals specially for the science subjects?

You may be talking about two different things here. 1. Using a distance learning provider for A-level content. They might also give you (limited) access to a tutor or provide assignments. 2. An exam centre where you need to register as a private candidate where you will take your exams and do your practical endorsement for science A-levels.

Note that a distance learning provider might not be an exam centre and you’ll likely have to sort that bit out yourself. You need to see what they are offering and what you’ll be paying for. Exams have a fee and practical endorsements have a further fee. For course content, you need to see if they offer anything above content and is it worth paying for. If not, get the textbook for your subject/exam board and use other free materials.

I’d Google taking exams as a private candidate. Exam board web sites usually provide info for private candidates too.
Original post by raffie

Campbell Harris College offers 12 practical's for £1600 i.e. £133 each. It is not cheap, but you might be able to get exemptions from universities you're applying to. So contact the course admissions tutors.
Some people seem to be making an awful lot of money from education, especially round Oxbridge. What vultures they are.

Quick Reply

Latest