The Student Room Group

how hard is economics a level

is economics completely different business, and how hard is it to get an a/a*? just want a general overview before I start
Hey I'm taking economics for A levels too. Since I'm also in year 12, I have no idea if it is hard or not. But, I have heard that it is easier than A level physics, chemsitry and biology but harder than business and accounting. You also have to do lots of graphs and maths in economics.
Original post by anon_1202
is economics completely different business, and how hard is it to get an a/a*? just want a general overview before I start

First thing to note is that you've posted this in a university economics part of TSR so you may get better responses if you post it in the A-level economics subject forum.

But just like with any subject, it's easy for some and hard for some. It depends on your teaching quality, intelligence, how much work you put in, how interested in econ you are, etc. Nobody can objectively say how hard econ is, although I think the general consensus would argue that it's easier than maths and the sciences, maybe slightly harder than some of the humanities - varies by person tho.

In my personal opinion, it wasn't that hard at all, everything was fairly logical. I just went to a normal school and out of the 25 students, 23 got A*/A and this was fairly consistent across year groups, but again, this isn't really info that should inform your choice.

As the poster above stated, there are a lot of graphs but I think it makes it easier, helps to visualise the concepts and makes it easier to remember. I had times in tests where just being able to remember the graph meant I could then remember the explanation surrounding it as everything is just logical from the graphs. No idea why the above poster said there's lots of maths, there's almost zero maths in A-level economics, the only maths is basically doing percentage changes which is probably primary school level maths. Proper maths is only really introduced into economics at university.

Best tip to figure out whether you'd enjoy it, I'd recommend using online resources. The Youtube channel Econplusdal was great when I did A-level econ years and years ago (econ teacher explaining things very clearly), it will give you a good idea of the actual content. The website Tutor2u offers a bunch of free resources for a-level econ, good for searching things you don't understand.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
oh

Original post by BenRyan99
First thing to note is that you've posted this in a university economics part of TSR so you may get better responses if you post it in the A-level economics subject forum.

But just like with any subject, it's easy for some and hard for some. It depends on your teaching quality, intelligence, how much work you put in, how interested in econ you are, etc. Nobody can objectively say how hard econ is, although I think the general consensus would argue that it's easier than maths and the sciences, maybe slightly harder than some of the humanities - varies by person tho.

In my personal opinion, it wasn't that hard at all, everything was fairly logical. I just went to a normal school and out of the 25 students, 23 got A*/A and this was fairly consistent across year groups, but again, this isn't really info that should inform your choice.

As the poster above stated, there are a lot of graphs but I think it makes it easier, helps to visualise the concepts and makes it easier to remember. I had times in tests where just being able to remember the graph meant I could then remember the explanation surrounding it as everything is just logical from the graphs. No idea why the above poster said there's lots of maths, there's almost zero maths in A-level economics, the only maths is basically doing percentage changes which is probably primary school level maths. Proper maths is only really introduced into economics at university.

Best tip to figure out whether you'd enjoy it, I'd recommend using online resources. The Youtube channel Econplusdal was great when I did A-level econ years and years ago (econ teacher explaining things very clearly), it will give you a good idea of the actual content. The website Tutor2u offers a bunch of free resources for a-level econ, good for searching things you don't understand.

oh whoops I didn't realise this was in the uni section, but yeah I'm really excited to study econ so hopefully the hard work I put in will be reflected at the end, thanks for the info
I done Economics A-Level and now I’ll be studying it this September at King’s College London.

I found Economics easy. It was the least stressful seeing as I done Maths Chemistry and Economics. There was legit a period where I was behind with 2 months of work and I caught up in like 4 whole days. The way I was able to be good at Economics was cus I had UpLearn. My school purchased it for us. Ur guaranteed an A/A* at A-Level if you complete UpLearn. It takes 8-16 weeks to complete the course (assuming you’re doing 150xp per week). Btw there’s literally barely any maths in it. The essay writing in Economics isn’t too crazy. With practice I’m sure you’ll ace it. Feel free to ask any questions bro 👍
Reply 5
Original post by triplethreat
I done Economics A-Level and now I’ll be studying it this September at King’s College London.

I found Economics easy. It was the least stressful seeing as I done Maths Chemistry and Economics. There was legit a period where I was behind with 2 months of work and I caught up in like 4 whole days. The way I was able to be good at Economics was cus I had UpLearn. My school purchased it for us. Ur guaranteed an A/A* at A-Level if you complete UpLearn. It takes 8-16 weeks to complete the course (assuming you’re doing 150xp per week). Btw there’s literally barely any maths in it. The essay writing in Economics isn’t too crazy. With practice I’m sure you’ll ace it. Feel free to ask any questions bro 👍

hey i'm thinking about getting uplearn next year for when i start my A-Levels but i'm still not 100% sure if it is legit since to get into the uni course i want i need 3 A* so could you please tell me honestly if it actually works?
Original post by HasTBMM
hey i'm thinking about getting uplearn next year for when i start my A-Levels but i'm still not 100% sure if it is legit since to get into the uni course i want i need 3 A* so could you please tell me honestly if it actually works?

Mums life it works bro. It’s the real deal. I ain’t even getting paid to plug them. 97% of people who have UpLearn get an A or A*. This wouldn’t be possible without UpLearn C1D140B0-6D7B-403C-AC0F-BF2C07E094E0.png

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending