The Student Room Group

spots turning darkbrown. I've tried using sunscreen what do I do????

my spots always go brown and sort of flat after they've healed and aren't red anymore. I hate it because the dark colour is a different colour to my normal complexion/tone of my face so the sides of my cheeks look like a leopard. I presume the spots I get are caused by my periods as I normally get two to three angry red ones in the week before I start. does anyone have any methods they've used that might help.
After washing my face, I use an IceCube on my face to calm down the painful spots that I get while on my period too. As for treating them, I would definitely recommend benzoyl peroxide cream which you can purchase at any shop such as Superdrug, or, crush up one or a few aspirin tablets, depending on how big the affected area is, and mix with some warm water until it becomes a paste and apply to the spot/s. You could leave this on as a mask for 10-15 mins or as a treatment overnight. If used as a treatment, I would not use it more than 3 times a week otherwise it is safe to use every day as a mask.
Hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask any more questions :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
my spots always go brown and sort of flat after they've healed and aren't red anymore. I hate it because the dark colour is a different colour to my normal complexion/tone of my face so the sides of my cheeks look like a leopard. I presume the spots I get are caused by my periods as I normally get two to three angry red ones in the week before I start. does anyone have any methods they've used that might help.

I get this too, but they eventually just fade and go away on their own. In terms of avoiding this happening, I try to leave them alone (i.e. not pick at them etc.) and use a facewash to try and prevent them from appearing in the first place.
What you are probably experiencing is PIH (Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation). They are dark marks and spots left behind after a pimple heals. They take time to get rid off.

I would recommend incorporating retinol into your skin care routine. As well as vitamin C. Retinol speeds up your skin turnover which helps reduce hyperpigmentation. Only use retinol 2-3 times a week. I recommend the ordinary retinol 0.2% with squalene. Vitamin C helps brighten your skin complexion. Remember to use sunscreen especially when using retinol. Retinol increases your sensitivity to the sun. I recommend using the La Roche Porsay sunscreens.

For cleanser use Cerave Hydrating cleanser if you have dry skin or Cerave foaming cleanser if you have oily skin. Cerave moisturising lotion is quite effective as well for a moisturiser or you could use Cetaphil daily cleanser.

Days when not using retinol:

AM Routine: Cleanser- Vitamin C-Moisturiser-Sunscreen

PM Routine: Cleanser- Vitamin C- Moisturiser

Days with retinol (2-3 days a week):

AM Routine: Cleanser-Vitamin C- Moisturiser- Sunscreen

PM: Cleanser- Retinol-Moisturiser

Quick Reply

Latest