The Student Room Group

btec vs a level

I'm going to take extended level 3 health and social care and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to pick an a-level to give myself a challenge it would be either sociology or psychology. Does anyone think they're easily taught?
would I struggle with getting better grades in the btec course if I take another a-level?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm going to take extended level 3 health and social care and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to pick an a-level to give myself a challenge it would be either sociology or psychology. Does anyone think they're easily taught?
would I struggle with getting better grades in the btec course if I take another a-level?

Btec is more coursework related.
A level is exams.
Original post by Throwaway2195
Btec is more coursework related.
A level is exams.

No, let me rephrase the question. I meant could I take an a-level whilst doing a btec = 3 a-levels but I want to challenge myself with studying an actual a-level.

Have you considered why you are doing health and social care because it is not a very useful BTEC if you don't want to go into a certain career path. I have friends who find it very easy, you could most likely do an A level with it but you should tell us what your GCSE grades were before advising
No, let me rephrase the question. I meant could I take an a-level whilst doing a btec = 3 a-levels but I want to challenge myself with studying an actual a-level.

You would literally have no time to take on a separate A-level plus a level 3 btec.
Technically you can, but you will be highly advised not to.
Have you considered why you are doing health and social care because it is not a very useful BTEC if you don't want to go into a certain career path. I have friends who find it very easy, you could most likely do an A level with it but you should tell us what your GCSE grades were before advising

Yes I'm going into the healthcare sector so it's a need. It would be useful for me and so I am choosing it. I got 4s-6s mainly because I didn't focus, revise and because I had problems in school which I won't discuss which I should have put my head in the books and got better grades and I know I could if I put the effort in.
Original post by Throwaway2195
You would literally have no time to take on a separate A-level plus a level 3 btec.
Technically you can, but you will be highly advised not to.

I will take that advice and use it. I would prefer to get better grades in the course than get "ok" grades if I take an a-level as well as

is your btec worth 2 or 3 a levels?
i did double btec business and a level psychology- achieved D*D*A*, i was capable to do 3 a levels however i knew doing what i did i could get into a prestigious russel group university to study law instead of struggling to do 3 a levels and just about scrape the grades needed to be let in
if you have a good work ethic and reasonably smart, doing that would be good. however, if you want to go into nursing, care for example dling level 3 health and social on its own would easily get you into a good uni doing that if you achieved the grades- so there would be no point in doing an a level alongside it as it’s extra work
but of course, i don’t know what career path or academic ability you are :smile:
is your btec worth 2 or 3 a levels?
i did double btec business and a level psychology- achieved D*D*A*, i was capable to do 3 a levels however i knew doing what i did i could get into a prestigious russel group university to study law instead of struggling to do 3 a levels and just about scrape the grades needed to be let in
if you have a good work ethic and reasonably smart, doing that would be good. however, if you want to go into nursing, care for example dling level 3 health and social on its own would easily get you into a good uni doing that if you achieved the grades- so there would be no point in doing an a level alongside it as it’s extra work
but of course, i don’t know what career path or academic ability you are :smile:

3 a levels. You got awesome grades! Good on you. I didn't have a good time at school due to problems and my mental health was really bad so I didn't try my best but I've recovered and I'm now willing to put a lot of work into it all. I think just doing the course on its own is better in case anything happens. I just wanted to challenge myself but I think it would be pointless
Update: I am going to see how the first month goes with health and social care and then I'll add an a-level if I think I have enough time. I can use half the terms and summer holiday to study as well which I don't mind doing.
Update: I am going to see how the first month goes with health and social care and then I'll add an a-level if I think I have enough time. I can use half the terms and summer holiday to study as well which I don't mind doing.

that’s great! wish you the best
that’s great! wish you the best

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending