Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ...not acceptable to be bad at English?

A lot of people joke away, or smile away, or laugh off their skills at Maths. "I was always rubbish at Maths" and other stuff like that.

But why then is it unacceptable to be bad at English?

Maybe this could be a reason to why Maths is so unpopular and has a geeky image.

ReputationRep:
    Because you need it to read/write/speak/survive in this country?

ReputationRep:
    It isn't, is it? I wish I'd taken Maths at A level.

ReputationRep:
    Because everyone uses English in everyday life and it is an essential part of communication. I don't suppose it's an issue to be bad at analysing literary texts; it's the language itself that matters, which isn't really the same as the subject English at school.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not so sure it is unacceptable to be bad at English any more judging by the response if I correct grammar. As for being bad at maths, well it shouldn't be allowed :p:

ReputationRep:
    If your bad at maths then most people can survive fine in daily life resorting to thier mobile phones calculator worstcase!!

If you cant get a basic mastery of the english language then life will be very difficult, including you being unemployable in 99.99% of british jobs.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think it was really acceptable to be bad at either

But what level of maths are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its possible to be naturally 'bad' or 'good' at maths, or rather anything for that matter.
    It annoys me when people say 'I am always bad at maths'
    no your not you stupid moron, its just you haven't put in to the effort to put your knowledge to practice. I think maths is a subject where the phrase 'practice makes perfect' truly shines.

Getting back to the initial question. OP, the reason its unacceptable to be 'bad' at English is because it forms an essential part of our life. Someone can survive with some basic level of maths and a calculator, but this cannot happen for English.

Bump of an old thread - locked.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.