Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!!
    I just started the IB programme a couple of months ago.. I've been looking around for other american IB students here at the SR and discussions about us but we're is everyone?! All I can find is about Cambridge, Oxford and Brittish people..

Tell me why you (must be american) chose to attend the IB program... Or where can I find american students?

/ The Obama fan

ReputationRep:
    Another American! Well, I chose to attend the IB program mainly because it was a good opportunity. So far, I think you have a good idea of its challenges.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think so too. Being an IB student opens a lot of doors. I read an article today about how much colleges really value having taken the IB diploma.. It is a lot of work to do though.. Hope I could find some easy help like a private tutor or something.. We'll see.. For now, googling works just fine.. Are you in IB1 or about to graduate?

ReputationRep:
    Well, my school is one of two IB schools in the area I live in, and mine is Free. All of the other schools in my area have a huge AP program, while we have both, but mostly IB. I choose to do it because I wanted a curriculum that was indepth and broad, that was more than AP. IB tests you in so many more ways than AP. Moreover, what other curriculum can say they have a class like TOK and CAS built in?
    Here, IB does open many doors too, despite colleges do not accept in the same ways as schools in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Indiana, and I did it for two reasons. The first was that I wanted to study in the UK for university, and I knew the IB would be the best thing for that. The second reason was that I really didn't have a choice; my school makes everyone of the full IB diploma. :P

ReputationRep:
    I live in florida. I chose to do it because I just didnt think AP was enough. Everyone that takes AP only takes AP courses they are good at. IB makes you take everything so eventually you get better and better even at the subjects you dislike most. I also chose to do it because it means I go to cocoa beach high rather than my local school.
    The final benefit of doing IB is that overall I really do feel that I will be prepared for college and not have to stress about work when i get there haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revvinevan)
    I live in florida. I chose to do it because I just didnt think AP was enough. Everyone that takes AP only takes AP courses they are good at. IB makes you take everything so eventually you get better and better even at the subjects you dislike most. I also chose to do it because it means I go to cocoa beach high rather than my local school.
    The final benefit of doing IB is that overall I really do feel that I will be prepared for college and not have to stress about work when i get there haha.
    exactly! Florida has embraced the IB program soo much better than up here in New York- we are trying to get the Board of regents to make students in IB state exam exempt for US History, but its not working

ReputationRep:
    I live in Indiana and it was our school's first year and I didn't quite know what I was getting myself into...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becca_mae57)
    I live in Indiana and it was our school's first year and I didn't quite know what I was getting myself into...
    What school did you/do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    I go to Goshen High School.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nk9230)
    exactly! Florida has embraced the IB program soo much better than up here in New York- we are trying to get the Board of regents to make students in IB state exam exempt for US History, but its not working
    I know what you mean! My teacher tried to convince the Board that we should take the history regent in January, but they said no. They need the smart students to take the exam with the others in order to make the school look good.

ReputationRep:
    I go to Goshen High School.
    Ah, okay. You're not anywhere close to me, then.

ReputationRep:
    I do IB in Northern VA, didn't really *choose* to it rather than living in the catchment area of a fully IB high school so had to do it basically :tongue: My school is quite rubbish at IB but the good thing about that is that one gets to peruse the IB Bible so one can announce to one's classmates about where the IBC went wrong (again)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    Ah, okay. You're not anywhere close to me, then.
    What part of the state do you live in then?

ReputationRep:
    What part of the state do you live in then?
    I go to school in Indianapolis, but I live in Carmel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilam)
    I know what you mean! My teacher tried to convince the Board that we should take the history regent in January, but they said no. They need the smart students to take the exam with the others in order to make the school look good.
    Yep.

Lilam, where do i study in New York? Im in New York too lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nk9230)
    Yep.

Lilam, where do i study in New York? Im in New York too lol.
    im in the town that no one really knows that is close to albany called schenectady. It's where Union college and GE are located.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilam)
    im in the town that no one really knows that is close to albany called schenectady. It's where Union college and GE are located.
    Im in schenectady too! :woo: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who is this????

ReputationRep:
    are u nathan by any chance?????

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.