The Student Room Group

advice for starting year 12

hi! i will be starting my alevels this september, i'll be doing maths and further maths (edexcel) , physics (aqa), economics (edexcel) and politics (edexcel) (dropping either econ or politics depending on which i like more) does anyone have any tips or revision resources? thanks in advance!
I used physics and maths tutor for maths and further maths revision. 90% of my revision was just doing past paper questions. I also did all of the mixed exercises and review exercises from the textbooks. It is worthwhile noting that there are not masses of past papers for further maths so it is worth doing past paper questions from different exam boards as it's still good practise, just make sure to be really familiar with your spec so you don't end up confusing yourself with things you don't need to know.
set out which frees are for leisure and which frees are for studying. independent study is required at a-level so it's extremely important you get into the habit
Reply 3
Original post by xiyu.35
hi! i will be starting my alevels this september, i'll be doing maths and further maths (edexcel) , physics (aqa), economics (edexcel) and politics (edexcel) (dropping either econ or politics depending on which i like more) does anyone have any tips or revision resources? thanks in advance!

Pay close attention to the mechanics you learn in physics, because you'll need to use that in maths (and probably further maths too) and learning it in physics will give you an advantage over the maths students that haven't taken physics. In my opinion, the biggest difference between A Levels and GCSE wasn't the difficulty of the content taught, it was the difficulty of the questions. There is a lot more application and requirement to use knowledge from more than one topic. So the best thing to do is lots of practice questions and past papers.
Reply 4
Thank you so much!

Original post by Cupcakes12
I used physics and maths tutor for maths and further maths revision. 90% of my revision was just doing past paper questions. I also did all of the mixed exercises and review exercises from the textbooks. It is worthwhile noting that there are not masses of past papers for further maths so it is worth doing past paper questions from different exam boards as it's still good practise, just make sure to be really familiar with your spec so you don't end up confusing yourself with things you don't need to know.
Reply 5
This was very helpful thank you!

Original post by a._5
Pay close attention to the mechanics you learn in physics, because you'll need to use that in maths (and probably further maths too) and learning it in physics will give you an advantage over the maths students that haven't taken physics. In my opinion, the biggest difference between A Levels and GCSE wasn't the difficulty of the content taught, it was the difficulty of the questions. There is a lot more application and requirement to use knowledge from more than one topic. So the best thing to do is lots of practice questions and past papers.
Reply 6
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest