The Student Room Group

VENT (tw:sh)

wish i could swim again
wish i didnt hate my body in swimming costumes
wish i could wear short sleeves in the summer
i literally cannot go swimming in public for the rest of my life
Reply 1
The range of bodies at a swimming pool are both large and varied, quite literally. Full on cellulite, bat wings, limbs missing, half a tan etc etc

Once you are under the water no one cares.

Remember no matter what anyone says or thinks, when you are finally dead and not part of this world no one left cares. Anyone who does - doesn't have a life. People won't look back after you are gone and discuss how bad you looked at the swimming pool.

If you really do have some disfigurement then look at it this way. Those people who have, have the absolute courage of a lion. If you put this another way - more people have less than perfect physiques, boobs, bum, legs etc than any SM site would have you believe. That is the real world. Life is not perfect, life is full on ugly bits too. If only one more person feels at home and uses the swimming pool because they think 'well I'm not as bad as that woman/man' then that is a positive. Get your arms out there, and hold your head high. Stuff the cheap seat chatter and do everything you would do anyway. Your confidence is your most beautiful asset.

Have you thought about wild swimming or swimming in the sea and putting a wet suit on?
Original post by Muttly
The range of bodies at a swimming pool are both large and varied, quite literally. Full on cellulite, bat wings, limbs missing, half a tan etc etc

Once you are under the water no one cares.

Remember no matter what anyone says or thinks, when you are finally dead and not part of this world no one left cares. Anyone who does - doesn't have a life. People won't look back after you are gone and discuss how bad you looked at the swimming pool.

If you really do have some disfigurement then look at it this way. Those people who have, have the absolute courage of a lion. If you put this another way - more people have less than perfect physiques, boobs, bum, legs etc than any SM site would have you believe. That is the real world. Life is not perfect, life is full on ugly bits too. If only one more person feels at home and uses the swimming pool because they think 'well I'm not as bad as that woman/man' then that is a positive. Get your arms out there, and hold your head high. Stuff the cheap seat chatter and do everything you would do anyway. Your confidence is your most beautiful asset.

Have you thought about wild swimming or swimming in the sea and putting a wet suit on?

this is the most beautiful response i have ever gotten. thank you. i have been swimming in the sea with clothes on which not bad, tho its more like floating because the waves are strong haha. its just my family keeps wanting me to go swimming w them for this summer, i keep making excuses because i dont know how they will react. plus i have a younger sister and i dont want her to be influenced by it.

thank you for being so lovely <3
I worked at a summer camp this year and had swimming most days.
I wear a long-sleeved rash guard (like a specific shirt designed for the water). No one comments - occasionally I get asked why, and I just tell people I feel more comfortable wearing one.

I used to think I'd never be able to wear short sleeves. I do now. I wear longer-short sleeves (like sleeves that approach my elbow). My scars are definitely more visible, but over time I've become much more confident with them on my body.
I definitely wish they weren't there, but it's something I know I need to live with.
Family can be hard. Whatever happens I wish you the best of luck,

Please stay safe :heart:

Quick Reply