Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey i am predicted straight A's at GCSE and i have an A* and an A already along with a B in french which only took me one year..
    Basically i dont know what A-levels to take, i am good at maths and very good at english, im thinking about economics in the future but is it worth taking as an A-level or just at degree outright?

i was thinking something along the lines of

Maths
    Further Maths
    English Lit
    Economics
    (and an AS in financial studies- part time)

Or

Maths
    ______< unsure
    English Lit
    Economics

i was hoping to apply to LSE, Oxford or Cambridge and then if i get rejected by those hopefully get into warwick and do a PPE type degree which will cover my skills at language subjects aswell as maths..

im confident I can get an A in any A-level exept Further maths.. could i get into oxford with say..

AAAB (the B being further maths) or would AAAA be better (the replacement for further maths being geography or possibly physics or history.)

Help??

ReputationRep:
    Good choice of subjects, you should be fine. Forget the financial studies AS and maybe go for something like politics (for PPE) or history or geography.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I think your first list (not inc. financial studies) is a great line up - but you don't have to have economics to do economics at university, I think! How about a science instead? You'll be quite well-rounded that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cv711)
    Good choice of subjects, you should be fine. Forget the financial studies AS and maybe go for something like politics (for PPE) or history or geography.
    I second that

ReputationRep:
    Do you like Science?(Chem or Physics)
    Don'T do financial studies, its crap.

If i were you id do:

Maths
    Physics/Further Maths
    Economics
    English Lit
    Government and Politics for AS

4 of those for A2.

ReputationRep:
    Fast respons thanks!

would the AS finance not help at all?? because i could walk into that exam now and get an A

i mean ridiculously easily ..

should i abandon it and find what other courses are on extra curriculor? or forget doing extra and focus on 4? soo many options hehe. dont top uni's go for the whole "good work ethos" evidence, would any volountary work help my chances.. this sort of thing.
    ps. i dont really enjoy science, i think id rather bust my ass in maths than do another painful practical...

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I would def. pick Further Maths- it really helps! If you go for any of the top universities whilst Further Maths isn't always given as a requirement, almost everyone else will have done it. A 'B' in Further Maths is still really worth having! (often more useful than an A in another subject)
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gibbo123)
    Fast respons thanks!

would the AS finance not help at all?? because i could walk into that exam now and get an A

i mean ridiculously easily ..

should i abandon it and find what other courses are on extra curriculor? or forget doing extra and focus on 4? soo many options hehe. dont top uni's go for the whole "good work ethos" evidence, would any volountary work help my chances.. this sort of thing.

For Sure

Do Voluntary work, lots of ECs!

If you want Oxbridge it would be recommended to do 4A2s due to the number of well qualified applicants.

Is Financial Studies one or three Exam only or is their coursework?

ReputationRep:
    Okay the general message being,

Maths = 100% yes
    Further maths= very good (but hard)
    physics=good
    eng lit and economics = not bad ?

okay so if i go to oxford tomorow (example)

and say hello, i have
    Maths A
    Further Maths B
    Economics A
    and Eng Lit A

That B will not hurt my chances?

No CW for finance

Thanks all i get the impression further maths is really respected so i think i will knuckle down and take it the only obstacle is that if not enough people at my school take it im left high and dry.. so in that case would geography be a good substitute

ReputationRep:
    Hey i am predicted straight A's at GCSE and i have an A* and an A already along with a B in french which only took me one year..
    Basically i dont know what A-levels to take, i am good at maths and very good at english, im thinking about economics in the future but is it worth taking as an A-level or just at degree outright?

i was thinking something along the lines of

Maths
    Further Maths
    English Lit
    Economics

Or

Maths
    ______< unsure
    English Lit
    Economics

i was hoping to apply to LSE, Oxford or Cambridge and then if i get rejected by those hopefully get into warwick and do a PPE type degree which will cover my skills at language subjects aswell as maths..

im confident I can get an A in any A-level exept Further maths.. could i get into oxford with say..

AAAB (the B being further maths) or would AAAA be better (the replacement for further maths being geography or possibly physics or history.)

Help??
    Can i make a note of something here.
    I'm applying for PPE at htis moment (look at the signature)
    Not just Warwick do it mind you
    Oxford, Durham, York, Hull,Essex, queens in belfast...the list continues
    Perhaps you are looking for 5 ones...preferbly warwick
    I'd go for
    Oxford - AAA/AAB
    Warwick - AAB
    Durham - AAA/AAB
    York - AAB
    as your main 3/4
    I did
    Maths, Further maths, Physics, economics and Politics (AAAAA)
    and i'm applying for PPE
    You are going to want an alternative to PPE as so few unis do it and the chance of rejection is still pretty high even at warwick

Thats why I only picked 2 PPE unis and 2 PE unis (Politics and Economics) and MORSE at Warwick (Mathematics, Operational research, Statistics and Economics).

This is not to say that you cannot be rejected - so pick your universities real carefully
    You could even pick the subjects i am doing if you wanted - it's hard work :yep:

NB - Do not pick financial studies/business studies/ accountantcy etc...
    Economics is what you need not the others.

ReputationRep:
    Okay the general message being,

Maths = 100% yes
    Further maths= very good (but hard)
    physics=good
    eng lit and economics = not bad ?

okay so if i go to oxford tomorow (example)

and say hello, i have
    Maths A
    Further Maths B
    Economics A
    and Eng Lit A

That B will not hurt my chances?

No CW for finance

Thanks all i get the impression further maths is really respected so i think i will knuckle down and take it the only obstacle is that if not enough people at my school take it im left high and dry.. so in that case would geography be a good substitute

The B would not hurt your chances.

Physics would be the best substitute for further maths, unless your planning on taking that already, then geography will do nicely.

Get your School to pay for you to do further maths at UCL if your in London.

ReputationRep:
    wow you did really well,
    picked like the most monstrous subjects (apparently but i quite like maths)

how did u find further maths vs maths , the overlap help you ? or just bore you and is physics as hard as further maths, the same? or just different?

i said PPE type subject, something that isnt totally maths, i may even look at economics and geography etc... and warwick was my other choice as it is only a train ride away and is rumoured to be good, my school is connected to it so i may be given some bias info ..

ReputationRep:
    wow you did really well,
    picked like the most monstrous subjects (apparently but i quite like maths)

how did u find further maths vs maths , the overlap help you ? or just bore you and is physics as hard as further maths, the same? or just different?

i said PPE type subject, something that isnt totally maths, i may even look at economics and geography etc... and warwick was my other choice as it is only a train ride away and is rumoured to be good, my school is connected to it so i may be given some bias info ..
    Maths looks real easy if you can cope with further maths - it's like a step up from maths, like additional maths gcse is a step up from gcse maths - takes more effort and work etc...

Also, if you ever do Mechanics modules in maths, this helps reinforce physics.
    This is because M units are all physics...*dances*
    No no, physics is good...hard work but good, especially with Mechanics maths units
    convince your teacher not to do Statistic units (S1 units) lol
    yes yes, warwicks good, it's my non oxford 1st choice university and it has a great reputation.

I was just warning about PPE, don't worry about it. Thats why I said i picked Politics and Economics and MORSE =]

ReputationRep:
    would anyone reccomend taking 5 or 4 AS levels??

4 AS levels that i continue at A2

or just 5 AS and only continue 4 onto A2..

thanks again all.

ReputationRep:
    would anyone reccomend taking 5 or 4 AS levels??

4 AS levels that i continue at A2

or just 5 AS and only continue 4 onto A2..

thanks again all.
    if you think you are capable -
    5 AS's (5th being Further maths for example)
    then take your 4 strongest to A2 - unless you have the problem like me with 5 A's

ReputationRep:
    this will be the most important decision of your teenage life

ReputationRep:
    im taking the decision seriously as its going to impact on the next 2 years directly and then the degree time indirectly (results and options) and then my career and ultimately my life so er one word...
    AHHHHH

i think i will take for AS...

Maths
    Further Maths
    English Literature
    Economics
    Geography

and if i thrive in further maths ill do it at A2 if not well... i got geography for a free A

thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    im taking the decision seriously as its going to impact on the next 2 years directly and then the degree time indirectly (results and options) and then my career and ultimately my life so er one word...
    AHHHHH

i think i will take for AS...

Maths
    Further Maths
    English Literature
    Economics
    Geography

and if i thrive in further maths ill do it at A2 if not well... i got geography for a free A

thanks everyone
    Seems good to me - good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have already got an A in English language and I am predicted (A*) in English lite, Science (B), Maths (B), R.E (A), ICT (A), Geography (A), Textiles (A/B) and Spanish (B).

I want to get into LSE to do economics. i heard that we have to do A level maths but this not one of my strongest subjects and i don't know what else to pick that would be suitable. soo can some one give me any pointers. thanks!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss I)
    Hi, I have already got an A in English language and I am predicted (A*) in English lite, Science (B), Maths (B), R.E (A), ICT (A), Geography (A), Textiles (A/B) and Spanish (B).

I want to get into LSE to do economics. i heard that we have to do A level maths but this not one of my strongest subjects and i don't know what else to pick that would be suitable. soo can some one give me any pointers. thanks!!!!!!
    Okay, right - I've applied for LSE to do Economics

You need a A grade in maths - this may be raised to an A*, within the next few years.
    You then need some 'traditional' subjects, because with Economics at LSE - you'd better get it right because of the 1200 applicants to 250 places.

If you think you would like to study Economics at university like LSE but you are not sure which one, then Mathematics is compulsory and English Literature, History, Languages are good ‘keystone’ subjects: choosing one or more of these will provide a good foundation for your subject combination.
    Other good choices to combine these subjects with include: an additional Language, Ancient History, Classical Civilisation, Economics, Further Mathematics, Geography, Philosophy, Religious Studies and sciences (Biology, Chemistry or Physics). I recommend having your other 2-3 subjects, apart from maths, being one of these.

I'm serious when I say that if you don't have an A grade in mathematics you will not get a place on the course. Competition is so high.

Click this link for LSE
    Be weary that you may need 4 As for LSE of A*AA for LSE because of competition; the higher the better really.

Also, look at this link for LSE
    and I will quote the most important part of the link to you
    Applicants normally offer three A levels (A2s) in our generally preferred subjects, or two generally preferred subjects and one from the following list (this list is indicative of the types of subject that are 'non-preferred.' It is regularly reviewed by Admissions Tutors and is accurate at the time of going to press):

Accounting
    Art and Design
    Business Studies
    Communication Studies
    Design and Technology
    Drama/Theatre Studies*
    Home Economics
    Information and Communication Technology
    Law
    Media Studies
    Music Technology
    Sports Studies
    Travel and Tourism
    I do not recommend having any of those subjects at A level
    Also, you sya you don't like maths...remember that the actual topics - Macroeconomics is very mathematical. Sometimes Microeconomics is mathematical and I have seen that you need to know your maths to ease the pain. Remember though, you don't have to do Economics at A level to do it at university; but once again - it eases the pain.
    Good luck

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.