Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stricof)
    Okay, right - I've applied for LSE to do Economics

You need a A grade in maths - this may be raised to an A*, within the next few years.
    You then need some 'traditional' subjects, because with Economics at LSE - you'd better get it right because of the 1200 applicants to 250 places.

If you think you would like to study Economics at university like LSE but you are not sure which one, then Mathematics is compulsory and English Literature, History, Languages are good ‘keystone’ subjects: choosing one or more of these will provide a good foundation for your subject combination.
    Other good choices to combine these subjects with include: an additional Language, Ancient History, Classical Civilisation, Economics, Further Mathematics, Geography, Philosophy, Religious Studies and sciences (Biology, Chemistry or Physics). I recommend having your other 2-3 subjects, apart from maths, being one of these.

I'm serious when I say that if you don't have an A grade in mathematics you will not get a place on the course. Competition is so high.

Click this link for LSE
    Be weary that you may need 4 As for LSE of A*AA for LSE because of competition; the higher the better really.

Also, look at this link for LSE
    and I will quote the most important part of the link to you

I do not recommend having any of those subjects at A level
    Also, you sya you don't like maths...remember that the actual topics - Macroeconomics is very mathematical. Sometimes Microeconomics is mathematical and I have seen that you need to know your maths to ease the pain. Remember though, you don't have to do Economics at A level to do it at university; but once again - it eases the pain.
    Good luck

Thanks for the advice.......
    I am thinking about picking this

Maths
    psyics
    English lit or lang (does it matter which 1 u pick???)
    geography or RS

i don't dislike maths, its just that i heard it is extremely hard, there are people who got A* at GCSE but are struggling to get a good grade at Alevel, so how can i do it with a B+. i am hard working so i might be able to do it.

reply bk. fnx :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Mathematics is a subject that you don't need a teacher for. As long as you have the right combination of books and you self-teach yourself an A grade is no problem at all. That's what happened to me, except that I was gifted in Maths, having achieved an A* in Maths in Year 10 November. Now I need 48% in my lat exam to get an A in A level maths and theres the burden off of me.

(Original post by Miss I)

Maths
    psyics
    geography or RS

i don't dislike maths, its just that i heard it is extremely hard, there are people who got A* at GCSE but are struggling to get a good grade at Alevel, so how can i do it with a B+. i am hard working so i might be able to do it.

Okay, right...
    Some people find Maths hard, others do not.
    However, you are going to need A grade Mathematics (which they may push up to A* soon like UCL and Cambridge)

As for the subjects...
    Maths, Physics, English literature and Geography/RS seems fine.
    Oh and yes it does matter which English you pick.
    I am going to reinforce the point - You need an A grade in maths to do economics - Otherwise you will be rejected.

ReputationRep:

Maths
    psyics
    geography or RS

Do Maths A-level: if that goes badly that is a stromg sign that an Economics degree at a top uni is a bad idea.
    Check out:
    i) The A-level strength thread in this forum
    ii) The sticky threads in the economics forum.

ReputationRep:
    I NEED MAJOR HELP and i need a reply NOW

I want to do economics in uni bt i don't know what alevel to pick, my school doesn't do further maths or economics, so far the only i want to do

maths
    english lit
    r.e

i want to do another subject is well bt wht

HELP, i need 2 choose 2 day

ReputationRep:
    I NEED MAJOR HELP AND FAST please

My school does not do further maths or economics for alevels.

so far i'm doing

maths
    english lit
    r.e

what should be my last alevel. any suggestions plz

QUICK

ReputationRep:
    I NEED MAJOR HELP AND FAST please

My school does not do further maths or economics for alevels.

so far i'm doing

maths
    english lit
    r.e

what should be my last alevel. any suggestions plz

QUICK
    What were your GCSE subjects and grades?
    and what subjects do you like and are you good at?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.