Turn on thread page Beta

..doing too much for her? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Oh! Well, that alone should make her show a little respect to you! Perhaps suggest she could go back home to your mum if she's finding it difficult to be in a decent mood with you.
    Aww, it's nice that you let her live with you. That's more of a big favour that swapping clothes!
    ...i would never suggest she went back to mother - to be honest if i had had the guts to walk out when i lived at home i would have.. Last summer at uni I got a knock on the door and my sis was stood there having just left! Our mother is just a ***** tho...dad left 3 years ago - he lives in New York now! - to be fare to my sis she has been through an awful lot in the last few months....walking out on mum, new school, new city to live in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophietrophy)
    ...i would never suggest she went back to mother - to be honest if i had had the guts to walk out when i lived at home i would have.. Last summer at uni I got a knock on the door and my sis was stood there having just left! Our mother is just a ***** tho...dad left 3 years ago - he lives in New York now! - to be fare to my sis she has been through an awful lot in the last few months....walking out on mum, new school, new city to live in...
    Sounds like she's not coping too well if she's always in a mood. Has she made friends at her new school (the people she went to the cinema with perhaps)? Does she confide in you with her problems?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Sounds like she's not coping too well if she's always in a mood. Has she made friends at her new school (the people she went to the cinema with perhaps)? Does she confide in you with her problems?
    ...i think you are right - she is finding it difficult - before she was not moody when i lived at home - she has made some friends at her new school, they come round here - i think the school is a big change from our old one, it was a private all girls school - the new one is a mixed grammar school. - she has days when she will tell me everything and days when she just clams ups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophietrophy)
    ...i think you are right - she is finding it difficult - before she was not moody when i lived at home - she has made some friends at her new school, they come round here - i think the school is a big change from our old one, it was a private all girls school - the new one is a mixed grammar school. - she has days when she will tell me everything and days when she just clams ups.
    Aww. Sounds like me a bit!
    Just give her space, but make sure she's aware that you're there if she needs you. Obviously without it being too much of a burden on you, let her have friends over often or go stay with them. Sometimes, being in other people's homes makes you appreciate your own!
    Praise her, but not patronisingly, make sure she's helping around the house and doing her work, but give her the freedom to grow and find herself too, heck just keep loving her. I don't know why I'm giving you advice! Who the heck am I? Anyway, you seem to be doing a great job, even though you're not actually her mum! Good luck with it all!

Oh, also, even though she left to come live with you, she might still be missing your mum or something she provides in a weird way, so maybe have her over for dinner once a week and send your sis home for dinner once a week. Or once a fortnight. Relationships can't be broken just like that. Especially not mother-daughter. I know I don't know the whole circumstances, or what the arrangements are like now, but that's just my thinking.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.