Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriend feels like my Dad Watch

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to chill...if he keeps it up after that then that's a tad worrying...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he is your dad???

No seriously, speak to him about it. If he is as intelligent as you say he is, then he will understand.

ReputationRep:
    why do you feel your dad? weird

ReputationRep:
    Just for future reference, I suggest you reword such thread titles as this to avoid the disturbing connotations I (and I'm sure others) picked up on.

Like someone else said already, things could be a lot worse and the guy could be completely uncaring - would you prefer that? I believe he's a caring guy who understandably worries that at the young age you are, it is possible (not necessarily likely) you may go down what could be considered a "bad" path to go down.

Obviously, to you, he's feeling somewhat suffocating, but I don't believe that's what he intends, nor do I believe he sees you as his daughter or younger sister. He's simply a loving and caring guy who is perhaps a bit forward for your tastes. Don't have a go at him, just sit down and tell him how you do appreciate how much he cares, but that you also want to be an independent person who can look after herself. I'm sure he'll understand if you be calm and honest with him.

My ex made the decision to break up with me because she found me too suffocating, though she neglected to tell me this at all during our relationship and decided instead to break up without talking to me. If she had, maybe things could have carried on. The difference between you and her was that she was suffering badly at the time from a highly debilitating illness, and if I hadn't been as "overbearing" as I was, I fear she would have had a complete utter breakdown, as she told me frequently she would have if I wasn't around. This didn't factor into her decision it seems.

(Original post by LH123)
    Someone already told me that, so you are too late - sorry.

And calm down, it wasn't even a serious comment.
    yeah I know besides its not like I was panicking or anything

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    There's caring, and there's suffocating. I find this too much. Even my parents agree , and when they're around ours they tells him to 'lay off a bit'.

I kind of know why he is like he is though. His Dad was a really bad parent- and it was left to my boyfriend to look after his younger siblings a lot of the time. I think the age gap brings out a lot of that paternal side.
    I have told him I understand this. He does get better sometimes, but then it worsens again, and he gets overbearing again.
    it is your relationship an all. i suppose i can go through stages of being imiliar to your boyfriend i guess.

ReputationRep:
    Your boyfriend sounds like Edward from the Twilight series.

God, I hate that vampire.

(Original post by Keith_Dave)
    Maybe he is your dad???

No seriously, speak to him about it. If he is as intelligent as you say he is, then he will understand.

Yes, who helped to conceive me aged 7. I know science nowadays is advanced but that's quite a whole new level :eek: :p:

I spoke to him half an hour ago when he got back from work. I said that I didn't like the way he treated me like a child a lot of the time- yet obviously thinks I'm old enough to have sex with him. He said again that 'he only cares about me.' But he did acknowledge that he can be overbearing sometimes. I've basically given him an ultimatum- unless he stops acting the way he does, I'll leave him.
    However,

ReputationRep:
    Yes, who helped to conceive me aged 7. I know science nowadays is advanced but that's quite a whole new level :eek: :p:

I spoke to him half an hour ago when he got back from work. I said that I didn't like the way he treated me like a child a lot of the time- yet obviously thinks I'm old enough to have sex with him. He said again that 'he only cares about me.' But he did acknowledge that he can be overbearing sometimes. I've basically given him an ultimatum- unless he stops acting the way he does, I'll leave him.
    However,
    However what?! Don't leave us hanging! :eek:

(Original post by EskimoJo)
    However what?! Don't leave us hanging! :eek:
    Sorry, I can't edit posts :o:

However, he brought up last Saturday night and accused me outright of cheating on him. He said that 'when you were drunk, you were rambling on about some guy.' I said ' Well, if I was that drunk and rambling, I'd obviously have spilled the beans if I'd cheated, right?'. To which he looked a bit embarrassed, because it's true. I asked him why he thinks I would cheat- and he was like 'because you're very pretty, all the guys like you and I know you're always up for it." Which kind of pissed me off, because I'm 'up for it' with him only- I'm not some kind of slut. Hell, I was a virgin before I met him. I dunno, he just gets me so mad sometimes

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I can't edit posts :o:

However, he brought up last Saturday night and accused me outright of cheating on him. He said that 'when you were drunk, you were rambling on about some guy.' I said ' Well, if I was that drunk and rambling, I'd obviously have spilled the beans if I'd cheated, right?'. To which he looked a bit embarrassed, because it's true. I asked him why he thinks I would cheat- and he was like 'because you're very pretty, all the guys like you and I know you're always up for it." Which kind of pissed me off, because I'm 'up for it' with him only- I'm not some kind of slut. Hell, I was a virgin before I met him. I dunno, he just gets me so mad sometimes

tell him to lay off the weed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.