The Student Room Group

I can't decide between two A-levels

I'm about to start Sixth Form in just over a week but I don't know if I should take film studies or psychology. I am 100% going to be taking Spanish and applied business but I don't know what to choose for my 3rd optionI do lean more toward psychology and have been interested in it for over a year (watching channels such as Cinema Therapy) but I have to take core maths with it which is 3 hours a week. If there weren't any core maths I think I would take psychology in a heartbeat but 3 hours a week feels like a lot of time as I heard you don't have much free time with A-levels and I want to run a business.However, I'm interested in film studies because the teacher seemed really passionate about the subject and made the technical side of things seem really interesting. Any advice?
Original post by p.isfor.paris
I'm about to start Sixth Form in just over a week but I don't know if I should take film studies or psychology. I am 100% going to be taking Spanish and applied business but I don't know what to choose for my 3rd optionI do lean more toward psychology and have been interested in it for over a year (watching channels such as Cinema Therapy) but I have to take core maths with it which is 3 hours a week. If there weren't any core maths I think I would take psychology in a heartbeat but 3 hours a week feels like a lot of time as I heard you don't have much free time with A-levels and I want to run a business.However, I'm interested in film studies because the teacher seemed really passionate about the subject and made the technical side of things seem really interesting. Any advice?

If you're so passionate about psychology then i suggest you take it. :smile: I don't personally do it, but i know that people who do it really enjoy it. It's more of an essay based subject if that's what you like. I don't know much about film studies, but if you're really indecisive then just flip a coin or something- If you flip the coin and find yourself secretly hoping than it lands on one side more than the other, then there's your answer.
If you don't mind me asking, how come your school is making you do core maths alongside it?
How to Choose 6th Form Subjects - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects
Original post by p.isfor.paris

Hi i take psychology a level and its my favourite subject you learn a lot of interesting stuff compared to other subjects but there is a lot of content to memorise which may be overwhelming but it isnt much technical stuff and if you have a good teacher that can teach it well it may naturally stick to you, my friend takes film studies and she seems to enjoy it i think you write essays about different films and genres and analyse them, and in a paper there would be two three questions with 40 marks idrk, in psychology there is a lot of topics in AS the highest mark question is 12 but in A level there is 16 mark questions. I think with psychology it isnt really a chill subject in terms of content but it is interesting idk much about film but i think if you have two/three content heavy subjects choose that?
Original post by greentrea
If you're so passionate about psychology then i suggest you take it. :smile: I don't personally do it, but i know that people who do it really enjoy it. It's more of an essay based subject if that's what you like. I don't know much about film studies, but if you're really indecisive then just flip a coin or something- If you flip the coin and find yourself secretly hoping than it lands on one side more than the other, then there's your answer.
If you don't mind me asking, how come your school is making you do core maths alongside it?

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest