Turn on thread page Beta

I need help. I have to analyse this sentence, but first I want to know what type of sentence it is: compound or complex?
    Then I have to separate it in main clause and other subordinating clauses, but how? Here it goes...

What I'm advocating is a reasonably open mind because there are in the world plenty of strange things which we now accept but were once dismissed as ridiculous and impossible fantasies.

Pardon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apu)
    I need help. I have to analyse this sentence, but first I want to know what type of sentence it is: compound or complex?
    Then I have to separate it in main clause and other subordinating clauses, but how? Here it goes...

What I'm advocating is a reasonably open mind because there are in the world plenty of strange things which we now accept but were once dismissed as ridiculous and impossible fantasies.
    Ok here I go...

It is a complex sentence because it has more than one clause that would not make sense stand alone from the rest of the sentence. If it were (which it is not) to be a compund sentence it would contain two cluases of equal importance.

The main clause appears to be everything up to "because" with "there" to "which" forming the second clause that is subordinate. The third clause is "which" to the end and is also subordinate.

I am 7 weeks into a full A Level in one year English Language course (amongst other things) and *think* that the above is correct.

I hope that this helped!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.