Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Two years ago I was a fat boy. Too much beer and kebabs mainly as well as a security guard job where I spent most time dosed up on caffine to the eyeballs.

Since hitting the gym becoming a student and getting a much more active job I've lost weight. But it really annoys me when almost the first thing someone says to you is about your weight. Like today meeting a girl I used to know when I was tubby. Second sentence was 'omg you have lost weight , you look good'. Does anyone else feel christ what must I have looked like before ,for that to be almost the first thing to come out of her gob?

And why is being slim such a good thing? I think people are a bit too obsessed with weight and stuff.As long as it isn't causing a health problem I can't see where it has to be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    Two years ago I was a fat boy. Too much beer and kebabs mainly as well as a security guard job where I spent most time dosed up on caffine to the eyeballs.

Since hitting the gym becoming a student and getting a much more active job I've lost weight. But it really annoys me when almost the first thing someone says to you is about your weight. Like today meeting a girl I used to know when I was tubby. Second sentence was 'omg you have lost weight , you look good'. Does anyone else feel christ what must I have looked like before ,for that to be almost the first thing to come out of her gob?

And why is being slim such a good thing? I think people are a bit too obsessed with weight and stuff.As long as it isn't causing a health problem I can't see where it has to be an issue.
    Then why the **** did you lose weight then?

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: the above... And it's a compliment. Better than them saying "you still stink of BO" and not noticing your weight loss.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, people always look better when they're at the right weight for them. I was huge when I was in high school; lost 2 stone and then started 6th form and people treated me differently; guys noticed me, even talked to me.

Being overweight has a huge stigma. It gives the impression that you don't care about your health, your looks or take care of yourself in general. So when you lose that weight, people notice the change. If it's a substantial amount of weightloss; you'll most certainly look better and people just want to say so.

ReputationRep:
    I find it more annoying when I haven't actually lost weight and people say it and you're like...um....no? But yeah I can see how it's annoying, but I don't think you can stop people from asking, so 'd just say, something like, "yeah...anyway, how are you doing?" to move the subject away from your weight. People probably expect you to be proud rather than embarrassed of your weightloss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modini)
    maybe he had health problems/wanted to be healthier/began a healthier lifestyle?

op -don't let it get you down. surely this just means you look good now? people are shallow...what can you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    maybe he had health problems/wanted to be healthier?
    Then he would've known the answer to "And why is being slim such a good thing?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modini)
    I actually lost weight to do something I've always wanted to do . Not for vanity . I was happy in terms of my life day to day . I wasn't dramatically fat either just not fit at all. It just is a bit sad how obsessed some people are with weight ,looks. etc.Look how many people get plastic surgery.... To the extent that almost the first thing someone says to you ,is about how you've changed. I get it all the time ,mainly from women who haven't seen me for a while. It can be taken as a compliment yes but it can also be taken a bit differently.

OP people ask me if I've lost weight all the time (my weight flucuates alot) and I can honestly say I absolubtly hate it! I always get really embarrassed and never know what to say. So I know how you feel.

At the end of the day I'm happy with how I look so I try to not let peoples comments bother me, and you should do the same! I'm sure it wasn't easy to lose the weight you did.

I love it!

ReputationRep:
    I've lost 18lbs and no one at work seems to have noticed. I'd rather people did notice though - it would give me a boost to know all the hard work is paying off tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Hah I can beat you all. I put on a stone and a half and my nanna wouldn't shut up about how I'd 'lost weight'. Uhhhh no, I haven't, I only still looked slim because I was ridiculously skinny beforehand!

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, my parents always insists on telling me "you have lost weight" whenever I go home. Its a bad thing for me, I eat tons (about 3500 calories on average) but burn everything off straight away. :/ If I could just be about 11stone I'd be happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    In my opinion, people always look better when they're at the right weight for them. I was huge when I was in high school; lost 2 stone and then started 6th form and people treated me differently; guys noticed me, even talked to me.
    Surely that made you realise what shallow arses people are? (This has happened to me too :p:)

ReputationRep:
    surely it's just because it's something you notice straight away? they can't tell how you've changed as a person by looking at you and a change in weight often makes a drastic change in your overall looks.

they'd probably be thinking 'omg you're such a fatty now!' if you'd gone from being slim to obese but don't say it because it's rude.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when my mum says to me "You've lost weight" when I know I haven't! I'd prefer if she waited until I actually had lost weight :laughing:, then it would mean something.

OP, I don't share your point of view at all, I think its a great compliment for someone to tell you that you're looking great these days. Nobody means it in a nasty way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJ555)
    Urgh, my parents always insists on telling me "you have lost weight" whenever I go home. Its a bad thing for me, I eat tons (about 3500 calories on average) but burn everything off straight away. :/ If I could just be about 11stone I'd be happy.
    My bf's the exact same, no matter what he eats he can't seem to put on weight...yet if I so much as look at a donut!:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    jeeze OP just take the compliment, people are trying to congratulate your efforts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patrickthestarfish)
    I hate it when my mum says to me "You've lost weight" when I know I haven't! I'd prefer if she waited until I actually had lost weight :laughing:, then it would mean something.
    it's better than your parents telling you you've put on weight and need to lose some every time you go home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    it's better than your parents telling you you've put on weight and need to lose some every time you go home.
    lol I guess that's true. My dog gets the opposite kind of comments from them, and I don't think the reverse motivation is working for him.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.