The Student Room Group

did not get the gcse grades required for taking stem a level subjects

I got a 5 in maths and a 65 in combined science. Im very upset with my grades but had hoped to take physics, maths and chemistry for a levels but now I cant as I did not achieve a 6 in maths and a full 66 in combined science. Im planning on retaking gcse maths and science and also restarting year 12 next year if i get the grades required for the a level subjects I had planned to take originally. Im not sure if I can actually do this and if i do will universities care that i retook both maths and science and even restarted year 12 with different subjects? I really wanted to study engineering at uni but now Im completely lost.
Reply 1
They won't care, it's only really with medicine/dentistry that they want your A-levels to have been done in a 2-year window with no resits.
You must've been hoping for higher grades in those GCSEs - what went wrong?
Hi,

first of all I'm really sorry, i was also disappointed with a few of my GCSE grades a few years ago so I completely understand how you feel.

one idea could be a gap year to resit the GCSE sciences and maths to bring it up to e.g. 7's and then apply to a sixth form// college ? I originally got a 7-6 in my combined science which wasn't enough for vet school so I resat and ended up with an 8-8. I'd be more than happy to give you any tips/ advice for the sciences.

the majority of uni's are pretty happy and don't mind resits, although sometimes there may be a policy where they won't allow more than 1 resit per subject or some don't allow them at all, but that's only a few exceptions rather than the norm so don't worry about that.

engineering requires a lot of maths so a 5 in maths may narrow your choices down a lot, so I would really recommend the gap year to resit your maths + science, you'll find it a lot easier now you're familiar with all the content and the types of questions they ask in the exams. Alternatively you could request your sixth form to let you do those subjects at A level and then sit them in the summer of year 12? you may find it pretty difficult revising for GCSE's alongside A levels though.

also a 6-6 in combined science really isn't a bad grade, it shows a lot of promise and I'm absolutely sure you can improve it with a resit !! :smile:
Original post by student2006_123
I got a 5 in maths and a 65 in combined science. Im very upset with my grades but had hoped to take physics, maths and chemistry for a levels but now I cant as I did not achieve a 6 in maths and a full 66 in combined science. Im planning on retaking gcse maths and science and also restarting year 12 next year if i get the grades required for the a level subjects I had planned to take originally. Im not sure if I can actually do this and if i do will universities care that i retook both maths and science and even restarted year 12 with different subjects? I really wanted to study engineering at uni but now Im completely lost.

you know some engineering courses require no a level subjects at all they just want AAA like idk i forogt the uni but check do some research bro and like u can do btech engineering too.
Original post by student2006_123

if ur close to a 6 in maths and a 66 in science, can u ask for a remark

Quick Reply

Latest