The Student Room Group

Law worth it?

lawyers or people that did law degrees or Alevels. Was it worth it?
My main question is...how is the pay and how hard was it to find a job? I always see lawyers/barristers/solicitors etc being glorifyed but apparently the pay isn't too great in the UK.

If you don't mind stating a rough pay and how much experience you have that would be great.
Would you recommend your job to anyone? What are the pros and cons?
Do you get to enjoy life as well as your job or do you find yourself having to work late hours , more than you are payed to. Does the stress decrease after finishing studies and finding a job? Or does it seem to increase. Please be blatantly honest.
Also any particular subjects you would recommend to do Law?
To be in law jobs you need to go to law school and study to work in law jobs like my nephew is a police officer because he went into police academy training
Original post by Random_2
My main question is...how is the pay and how hard was it to find a job? I always see lawyers/barristers/solicitors etc being glorifyed but apparently the pay isn't too great in the UK.

If you don't mind stating a rough pay and how much experience you have that would be great.
Do you get to enjoy life as well as your job or do you find yourself having to work late hours , more than you are payed to. Does the stress decrease after finishing studies and finding a job? Or does it seem to increase. Please be blatantly honest.

The answers to your question vary greatly depending on (a) whether you practice as a solicitor or a barrister and (b) the area of law you’re looking to pursue. I think you can find the answers to your questions quite easily online and I’m not sure how many will be willing to spell out everything for you (particularly because I and others already have done so on this forum). If you’ve got any specific questions following your research, I’d be happy to try and answer. But at this stage I think you need to hone in on what is it you’re interested in / asking about.
Alright. I'll be relatively brief with these, but let's work through them.

Original post by Random_2

For me, yes it was.

The recent stories about issues with the criminal justice system has made people more aware that the pay in criminal law, and particularly criminal barristers compared to those in other practice areas, isn't great. But in other areas the pay is perfectly fine, and as a barrister in most other areas there's no reason why you can't earn a very comfortable amount financially. Even in criminal law, once you're established the pay is a lot of situations is absolutely fine. But it depends on your expectations as to what sort of amounts you'd like to earn and the area that you're looking to go into.

There are a lot of variables that go into that as a barrister. You're ultimately self employed so every individual barrister is different. In most areas of law, though, you should be able to get to a point where you're earning six figures within five or so years as a barrister, if not sooner. That is extremely general but will give you an idea of what is achievable.

I really enjoy my job, but it's not for most people. The hours are long and there is a lot of stress and pressure from a variety of sources. The actual job itself (mainly appearing in court and running trials) is also not for most people. It is very much a job that needs to appeal to you and which you need to enjoy to be able to do. At 10+ years experience I've reached the point where I can manage my work really well with my home and social life, but that takes a lot of time to get right and even now I don't always get it right.

Do you get to enjoy life as well as your job or do you find yourself having to work late hours , more than you are payed to.

Yes, I get to enjoy life. I can't say that'll be the same for all barristers, but if you have the right family environment, the right clerking team and you are willing and able to put work into managing things yourself, then it's perfectly possible to find the right balance. There will always be times that I have to work long hours and work late and/or at weekends, but that's the nature of the job.
Does the stress decrease after finishing studies and finding a job? Or does it seem to increase. Please be blatantly honest.

The stress increases, but it's a different kind of stress that, over time, you learn to deal with. I don't really feel stressed very often though. I feel pressure quite often, but that's part of what makes the job such a rush for me. I want that pressure.

The ones you'll get the best marks in. If there are several, essay subjects like History, English etc will help you to develop relevant skills for a law degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending