The Student Room Group

Predictions v offers

If I am predicted to meet the offer advertised on a course is that enough? What has been your experience? Did you get offers from RG unis if you met rather than exceeded the offer advertised on their website. Trying to work out which unis I put as my five. Am doing an EPQ also. Looking at Biochemistry btw. Thanks
Original post by Maddie57
If I am predicted to meet the offer advertised on a course is that enough? What has been your experience? Did you get offers from RG unis if you met rather than exceeded the offer advertised on their website. Trying to work out which unis I put as my five. Am doing an EPQ also. Looking at Biochemistry btw. Thanks

Hello @Maddie57

I didn't apply with the entry requirements, I was predicted A*AA and I applied to four universities requiring AAB and one requiring BBC and received offers from them all. However, I saw Lancaster was in clearing for BBB in biochemistry this year so it seems like there was definitely some flexibility. I'd recommend applying for a range of entry requirements, I applied to Kent which wanted BBC because I knew the pandemic could affect my ability to perform and I wanted to have a lower entry requirement university that I knew I could be happy at! At very top universities it may be a bit more competitive for places. If you have a strong personal statement that could potentially help sway a decision. An EPQ can give a contextually lower offer (one grade down usually) so that may also help!

Rebecca :smile:
You need 5 choices with a range of entry requirements.
1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades - one grade and not in a critical subject
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - below your predicted grades
Not only will you be likely to end up with more than one or two offers, but you will also have a range of offers. This is important when picking a firm and insurance choice later on in the year. If you have no 'lower' offers at that stage you have no fall-back choice to ensure you still have a uni place if things don't go to plan in August or you realise A levels are not going as well as you thought at the start of Year 13.

More advice here - How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello t@Maddie57

I didn't apply with the entry requirements, I was predicted A*AA and I applied to four universities requiring AAB and one requiring BBC and received offers from them all. However, I saw Lancaster was in clearing for BBB in biochemistry this year so it seems like there was definitely some flexibility. I'd recommend applying for a range of entry requirements, I applied to Kent which wanted BBC because I knew the pandemic could affect my ability to perform and I wanted to have a lower entry requirement university that I knew I could be happy at! At very top universities it may be a bit more competitive for places. If you have a strong personal statement that could potentially help sway a decision. An EPQ can give a contextually lower offer (one grade down usually) so that may also help!

R

Thanks- I will have one below my predicteds for sure. I also saw biochem at Lancaster, cardiff Notts as well as others so agree there will be chances out there especially as this was a tough year with many deferrals.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
You need 5 choices with a range of entry requirements.
1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades - one grade and not in a critical subject
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - below your predicted grades
Not only will you be likely to end up with more than one or two offers, but you will also have a range of offers. This is important when picking a firm and insurance choice later on in the year. If you have no 'lower' offers at that stage you have no fall-back choice to ensure you still have a uni place if things don't go to plan in August or you realise A levels are not going as well as you thought at the start of Year 13.

More advice here - How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Thanks fab advice. I’m not going to put a risky one on - all are either London, Oxbridge or Bristol and I’m not keen on going to any of those - going to do 3 at and 2 just below.
Which course? That makes a huge difference.
Original post by ajj2000
Which course? That makes a huge difference.

Biochem - says so in the opening post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending