The Student Room Group

How much of business overlaps in economics a level

I’ve heard it all “don’t choose economics and business” but no one ever explains how much of it actually overlaps and I would like to know, I want to go to a good uni and focus on the business side, everyone is saying not to choose business but if I don’t do it at this stage I worry that I will not know the basic information about business for when I go to university
Original post by dgo25
I’ve heard it all “don’t choose economics and business” but no one ever explains how much of it actually overlaps and I would like to know, I want to go to a good uni and focus on the business side, everyone is saying not to choose business but if I don’t do it at this stage I worry that I will not know the basic information about business for when I go to university

Hey @dgo25

A lot of people choose to go into business at university who have never studied it, so the university course is tailored towards being able to start from scratch. If you want to study business because you think you'd enjoy it - go for it! But if you are only studying it because you are worried about starting university behind then you could always buy a revision guide or find notes online so you would know what is covered.

I'm not sure on the overlap of economics and business, but I have heard people say not to choose them both. Are there any other degrees you are considering aside from business that require certain a levels (e.g. maths for finance/economics)? Sometimes it's useful to have a broader range of subjects in case you change direction during Y12/13.

Rebecca :smile:
Many Unis will not accept both Econ and Business together - don't do it.
The Economics + Business argument is not as big an issue as it once was. Ring your preferred University destinations, speak to the department and find out their stance. It is not an issue for a number of Russell Group for example.

The syllabus barely overlaps, but crucially the expectations on answering questions is very different.

In short, speak to the Unis.
If you prefer business, then choose it
As already said some top universities dont accept Econ and Business together. If you are studying the 2 together with 1 other subject then some universities will say you have 2 acceptable subjects. If you want to do both together then check with each university you are interested in that they will accept. Other students on here have been rejected for that reason.
I have taken this off Durham's entry for Economics. Be aware of the danger of taking both.

Applicants are encouraged to avoid studying both Economics and Business Studies

Quick Reply

Latest