The Student Room Group

what should you do if your therapist insulted you?

like say you insulted them based on their weight and they used your genetic condition against you and insulting you like that? Can you sue them?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YarberHervaYelp
So you insulted them first?

this is a hypothetical scenario, they actually terminated the session which is what I wanted. I’m just wondering what would have happened if they did insult me back? Would I be able to sue them?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by YarberHervaYelp
They wouldn't insult you back. Couldn't you have walked out rather than insult them? Assuming that you need the therapy why not apologize and ask for a fresh start?

We literally just sat down so I couldn’t have just walked out. I insulted her and she told me to leave if I don’t want treatment so then I walked out. I may need the therapy (I don’t think I do) but I don’t want it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anon346775
We literally just sat down so I couldn’t have just walked out. I insulted her and she told me to leave if I don’t want treatment so then I walked out. I may need the therapy (I don’t think I do) but I don’t want it.

I am sorry that this has happened to you. Some people including therapists are not compassionate and are only there to be paid and have a conversation.

But unfortunately, it is what it is. The treatment of people with mental health issues is even worse in psych wards or any mental health facility. You expect these people to be compassionate but what they will do to you instead is traumatising. They will pin you down to the ground, chain you up or even worse. These people are only there for the MONEY and I can't emphasize that enough. They don't have real interest in what they do. I don't think that you'd be able to sue your therapist, but you could leave a bad review and just say that you didn't like it. She can't insult, so I wouldn't expect her to do it, but she should still try to be understanding.
If you think you can sue them if they insult you, what makes you think they can't sue you because you insulted them?
Don't worry just like everyone else who's ever had a customer service job they're taught not to react to ******* who say all kinds of things with little to no provocation. Are you being forced to do therapy by a court? If not, and you've tried different therapists and for whatever reason you feel it's not for you, you can just not use those services. Understand that's not great to hear when you can feel your mind coming apart at the seams and you're feeling like the primary treatment besides medication is not working for you, but if this is the first therapist you've seen I would look into requesting a new once, there are brilliant therapists who are very good at their jobs who are compassionate and empathetic and know what they are doing, and there are terrible ones who shouldn't have a job in any caring profession, far too luck of the draw for me, tbh, wouldn't except it from medical doctors, why should this be different?
@black tea I insulted her and only her weight, because it was a weight appointment, its all about “my weight” and the thoughts behind my eating. If she insults me about my genetic condition shes not just insulting me, shes insulting everyone else who has my condition.
(edited 1 year ago)
@black tea I insulted her and only her weight, because it was a weight appointment, its all about “my weight” and the thoughts behind my eating. If she insults me about my genetic condition shes not just insulting me, shes insulting everyone else who has my condition.

Sorry to break it to you, but an insult is still an insult... You sound very immature
Reply 8

Also she should stay professional too
In the hypothetical situation BOTH of you are in the wrong but the therapist is slightly more in the wrong due to her profession. idk if you can sue though

but back to the actual situation. why's everyone ignoring the fact that she insulted her therapist? and I mean the therapist's actual reaction was completely reasonable. like???

Why are you making a thread about something that never happened and not addressing the pertinent situation of you needing help, but refusing it? What are you doing about your weight, instead of self-sabotaging?
Not doing anything about my weight. I’ve been living like this all my life and I am 21, still alive. I’m not dying like doctors say so I don’t need to do anything. If I was going to die from being underweight I would have died as a baby, and no one said I had anorexia then, but now because I am an adult and underweight I happen to have anorexia. I know plenty of people my age my height and weight so thats saying something, they may not have the genetic condition, they may just be small for their age but they are still alive. Do doctors pick on them and tell them to gain weight? No. Or they might I don’t know.

Some people are born small, its in their genes, everyone in their family is small. Everyone in my family is small, apart from my brother who is of decent height but also small for a man. They are over weight for height though apart from my dad who is healthy.
(edited 1 year ago)
Its funny that therapists tend to be fat themselves and they have the nerve to tell underweight people to gain weight like maybe they should fix their weight. Society likes thin looking people not fat people, and another thing, the therapist wasn’t even fat, shes just a thick woman.
(edited 1 year ago)
Not doing anything about my weight. I’ve been living like this all my life and I am 21, still alive. I’m not dying like doctors say so I don’t need to do anything. If I was going to die from being underweight I would have died as a baby, and no one said I had anorexia then, but now because I am an adult and underweight I happen to have anorexia. I know plenty of people my age my height and weight so thats saying something, they may not have the genetic condition, they may just be small for their age but they are still alive. Do doctors pick on them and tell them to gain weight? No. Or they might I don’t know.

Some people are born small, its in their genes, everyone in their family is small. Everyone in my family is small, apart from my brother who is of decent height but also small for a man. They are over weight for height though apart from my dad who is healthy.

So much denial... Someone I know died from anorexia at 24. Another person I know died at 26. They also thought they were fine until they weren't.

I hope you come to your senses and accept the help you are offered eventually. You have no idea how lucky you are to be offered help for an ED; thousands of people across the country want help and can't get it.
(edited 1 year ago)
@black tea When its time to die, you will die. You can’t save yourself from death otherwise doctors would save those who get stabbed and die.

My parents and family believe me and know I have a genetic condition, they know I can eat as and when I can, they don’t look at me making excuses sometimes as being part of it. As long as my family believe me, nothing else matters.

Sometimes I admit I choose not to eat, other times its my genetic disorder. I don’t even want to get better because I didn’t get to go to university so..
(edited 1 year ago)
@black tea When its time to die, you will die. You can’t save yourself from death otherwise doctors would save those who get stabbed and die.

My parents and family believe me and know I have a genetic condition, they know I can eat as and when I can, they don’t look at me making excuses sometimes as being part of it. As long as my family believe me, nothing else matters.

Sometimes I admit I choose not to eat, other times its my genetic disorder. I don’t even want to get better because I didn’t get to go to university so..

"The foods and beverages that people consume have a profound
impact on their health. The scientific connection between food
and health has been well documented for many decades, with
substantial evidence showing that healthy dietary patterns can help
people achieve and maintain good health and reduce the risk of
chronic diseases throughout all stages of the lifespan."
USDA advice on diet

What genetic disorder is this, that you think you have?

2 of my nieces have had anorexia. They both needed hospital intervention to save their lives.

Not going to university is a blessing. You're not the same as everyone else. No uni equals no student debt. No uni equals you can whatever you want with the next 3 years of your life. Use those 3 years effectively and you'll be set up for having a better life than if you went to uni. Fritter away those 3 years and you probably would have frittered away your time at uni anyway.

Your body is a temple. You will only have 1. It makes sense to keep up with the maintenance.

I think that it was unprofessional of your therapist to ask you to leave after you insulted her. Some therapists are better than others.
There may well be an element of hypocrisy with therapists. It's possible to give great help and guidance whilst being a hypocrite.

Maybe you should set yourself the standard that you are going to be better than the majority of adults when it comes to your weight, regardless of any genetic factors that might present a challenge to you? With that weight being one where your BMI is between 20 and 21.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
USDA advice on diet

2 of my nieces have had anorexia. They both needed hospital intervention to save their lives.

Not going to university is a blessing. You're not the same as everyone else. No uni equals no student debt. No uni equals you can whatever you want with the next 3 years of your life. Use those 3 years effectively and you'll be set up for having a better life than if you went to uni. Fritter away those 3 years and you probably would have frittered away your time at uni anyway.

Your body is a temple. You will only have 1. It makes sense to keep up with the maintenance.

I think that it was unprofessional of your therapist to ask you to leave after you insulted her. Some therapists are better than others.
There may well be an element of hypocrisy with therapists. It's possible to give great help and guidance whilst being a hypocrite.

Maybe you should set yourself the standard that you are going to be better than the majority of adults when it comes to your weight, regardless of any genetic factors that might present a challenge to you? With that weight being one where your BMI is between 20 and 21.

I have Russell Silver Syndrome, I got genetic testing done, it came back positive.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
USDA advice on diet

Everyone I know goes to university apart from my family, why can’t I go?
Original post by Throwaway2195
You gonna sue them because they hurt your feelings?
Lmfao.
Lmfao.

Its a hypothetical scenario, so in that situation so what if I did? Whats so funny about that? When a client insults the professional the professional is not supposed to insult back, they are supposed to be the bigger person.
Original post by Throwaway2195
xx

Then why are they trying to force me into treatment, mentioning sectioning in every single appointment? This is why I lost it and was a prick to them. Trying to help by threatening to section people, like thats going to scare you into eating.

Quick Reply

Latest