The Student Room Group

chemistry books

Does anyone know of some good chemistry books I could read? Would generally just like something to read for fun, however it would be useful if I can include it in my personal statement too. From my current (AS level) knowledge, I think organic is my favourite area however I wouldn't mind books about any/all parts of chemistry. Thanks :smile:
Original post by selugawi
Does anyone know of some good chemistry books I could read? Would generally just like something to read for fun, however it would be useful if I can include it in my personal statement too. From my current (AS level) knowledge, I think organic is my favourite area however I wouldn't mind books about any/all parts of chemistry. Thanks :smile:

All:

‘chemistry^3: an introduction to inorganic, organic and physical chemistry’ by Burrows et Al

Organic chemistry:

‘Organic chemistry’ by Clayden et Al

Physical chemistry:

’Elements of physical chemistry’ by Atkins

’Why chemical reactions happen’ by Keeler

Inorganic chemistry:

’Basic inorganic chemistry’ by Wilkinson and Cotton
Original post by TypicalNerd
All:

‘chemistry^3: an introduction to inorganic, organic and physical chemistry’ by Burrows et Al

Organic chemistry:

‘Organic chemistry’ by Clayden et Al

Physical chemistry:

’Elements of physical chemistry’ by Atkins

’Why chemical reactions happen’ by Keeler

Inorganic chemistry:

’Basic inorganic chemistry’ by Wilkinson and Cotton

Further light reading: https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves
What unis are you thinking of applying to?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by DP4300
What unis u thinking of applying to?

I don't know my predicted grades yet (thinking they'll be around AAB-ABB maybe higher), but I currently have open days booked for Notts, York, Newcastle, Leeds and Sheffield. Are you applying for chem too? Where are you looking?
Yes I'm applying for chem too! I'm thinking of applying to some near London (closer to home)
We should help each other out with chemistry (in year 13)
Reply 7
Original post by DP4300
Yes I'm applying for chem too! I'm thinking of applying to some near London (closer to home)

yeah im mainly looking across the north and midlands closer to where i live
Original post by DP4300
We should help each other out with chemistry (in year 13)

yes definitely! ive heard people say it gets harder so it will be good to help eachother
yeah im mainly looking across the north and midlands closer to where i live

yes definitely! ive heard people say it gets harder so it will be good to help eachother

Having already done my A levels and having applied for chemistry this year, I would like to give the following unsolicited advice:

Have a look at this thread and my post specifically: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&p=97549790&page=2#post97549790

I’d say A level chemistry in year 13 is harder, but not too much harder. Usually, those who want to study chemistry at uni are less likely to have difficulty with A level chemistry and are more likely to find the accompanying A levels harder (maths, biology, further maths and physics are the classic accompanying A levels).

Which exam boards are you doing?
Reply 9
Having already done my A levels and having applied for chemistry this year, I would like to give the following unsolicited advice:

Have a look at this thread and my post specifically: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&p=97549790&page=2#post97549790

I’d say A level chemistry in year 13 is harder, but not too much harder. Usually, those who want to study chemistry at uni are less likely to have difficulty with A level chemistry and are more likely to find the accompanying A levels harder (maths, biology, further maths and physics are the classic accompanying A levels).

Thank you so much for all the advice and the book recommendations it is very helpful :smile:
For chemistry I'm doing OCR (aqa for maths and biology).
Thank you so much for all the advice and the book recommendations it is very helpful :smile:
For chemistry I'm doing OCR (aqa for maths and biology).

I presume by that you mean OCR A. MaChemGuy should be really good.

I did Edexcel, which is a little different to OCR A, but I am aware of the differences in the specification.

I'm doing OCR A, any tips on personal statements?
I presume by that you mean OCR A. MaChemGuy should be really good.

I did Edexcel, which is a little different to OCR A, but I am aware of the differences in the specification.

To improve my grade in chemistry could I still do other exam questions from edexcel?
Original post by DP4300
To improve my grade in chemistry could I still do other exam questions from edexcel?

You can do exam questions from any exam board, provided that topics that are not on your specification are excluded.
You can do exam questions from any exam board, provided that topics that are not on your specification are excluded.

Thank you for replying, what unis did you apply to (if you are happy to share)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by DP4300
Thank you for replying, what unis did you apply to (if you are happy to share)

Oxford - Rejected (retrying in my gap year)
Imperial College London - Offer (declined)
University College London - Offer (declined)
University of Durham - Offer (declined)
University of St Andrews - Offer (declined)
Original post by DP4300
I'm doing OCR A, any tips on personal statements?

Personal statements are a weird one.

Make sure you explain how you are the best possible fit for a chemistry course (i.e mention things like work experience and how you have consequently developed time management skills etc) and make it clear how much you love chemistry and want to study it.

I believe in my personal statement, I mentioned something like ‘Chemistry is a beautiful art that ought to be cherished and accessible to others’, following a mention of how I would assist classmates with understanding the harder topics. Sentences like that can be good for showing how interested you are in the subject.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by DP4300

When you do past papers, you need to properly read the mark scheme (and preferably also read the exam report). You need to be reading what is actually on the MS and what is not allowed. OCR A has its specific language that it requires and this is different from the language required by other exam boards.

Doing Qs from e.g. Edexcel is fine for practise, but is not really good preparation for OCR exams as you can't use the MS in the same way.

There are a lot of past papers now for OCR A. When in Y13, don't forget to also do all the AS papers - approximately 50% of each of the A level exams is AS content. Don't forget to do the specimen paper (although it isn't that good) and ask your teacher for the practice papers - they'll know what you mean.
Original post by Pigster
When you do past papers, you need to properly read the mark scheme (and preferably also read the exam report). You need to be reading what is actually on the MS and what is not allowed. OCR A has its specific language that it requires and this is different from the language required by other exam boards.

Doing Qs from e.g. Edexcel is fine for practise, but is not really good preparation for OCR exams as you can't use the MS in the same way.

There are a lot of past papers now for OCR A. When in Y13, don't forget to also do all the AS papers - approximately 50% of each of the A level exams is AS content. Don't forget to do the specimen paper (although it isn't that good) and ask your teacher for the practice papers - they'll know what you mean.

Ah ok thank you. I'm just probably going to stick to the OCR past papers (both AS and A2).

Quick Reply

Latest