Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My language is definitely getting worse, and although I did get hauled in front of the head at primary school for telling a spotty oik to eff off during a game of kiss chase (!) I have generally been restricted to use of mild words like the s-one, the a-one and the p-one, with use of the f-word only when very tired or annoyed. Recently however I seem to have got really bad, and seem to have slipped into the general use of the phrase including the f-word, s-word and a b-word for things that go wrong quite freely. I also found myself describing an ex as a silly w****** in a conversation to a friend the other day which was pretty unusual. I really hate the c-word, and have only used it twice when really annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    f off you chav lol

ReputationRep:
    yes. More than I really should - working in kitchens i ******* SWEAR has made my language far more foul than it used to be. that and hockey :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I don't use them all the time, because then they'd lose their expressiveness. But I don't have a problem with using or hearing any of them.

The only word that makes me uncomfortable is the n-word.

ReputationRep:
    I never use the c word, but I have to be really provoked to swear, I try to use alternatives though, like sugar and ballcocks. I would never swear in Punjabi.

ReputationRep:
    I only swear if something is really irritating me or if I've hurt myself. I swore for about five minutes straight when I ripped my toenail off.

In general though, you may hear me utter the odd "bugger", but nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    I swear lots. If done correctly it's amusing. And if not done correctly it's merely cathartic. My favourite is "see you next Tuesday" because it can still shock people!

ReputationRep:
    i don't really swear much at all :proud:

it's seems to be something that doesn't come naturally in my vocabulary lol ... when i do, it's because i'm extremely angry/upset

ReputationRep:
    i swear gratuitously. king knut is the only one that really has any effect any more so i save that for special occasions.

ReputationRep:
    I swear like a trooper, both in English and Persian, as my numerous warnings on this forum show.

ReputationRep:
    I swear like a sailor, I really do. Sometimes I feel awkward swearing around people, but other times I'll just go for it. I am also not restricted by words. One lovely anecdote follows, detailing awkwardness and lack of restriction:

I was out the other week with some female friends, and I was rather drunk. I was doing my usual "swearing like Bluebeard" routine, when I found out that one of the girls was Anglican. My word, I've never toned down my language so fast ever. Every single "****" became "effing", and I even dropped the c-word from my repertoire...and I use the c-word as an adverb!?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, but I use Fudge a lot.

Now I have to fudging go to work

ReputationRep:
    I swear all of the time. I am very rude.

ReputationRep:
    when I'm sober I dont swear unless I hurt myself, or in a football game...
    When I'm drunk, I swear quite abit more, generally for silly things :p:

ReputationRep:
    i swear alllll the time.. i never used to but as ive gotten older i guess my language has just gotten dirrtier

i swear at the smallest things.. i say the f word waaaay too much like way to much.

swearing is fun, it makes me look cool :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a mouth like a sewer, but a desire to be a bit more classy (and watching way too much Family Guy) has led to the frequent use of 'blast!', 'curses!', 'rats!' and 'drat!'.

Most I don't mind being around, got desensitised by waching post watershed telly as a child :P
    I think the c one is a bit foul, though, and its common use makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    It's getting a bit bad - I've gotten into the habit of saying any random one-syllable swear word rather loudly when I realised I've forgotten something/hurt myself etc. I say 'for god's sake' a lot too. When I think about it I don't actually like it - methinks I'm gonna make a concious attempt to try and tone it down a little.

ReputationRep:
    I go through phases lol. There will be a time when my language gets really bad and I swear all the time. Then I try and control it then don't swear so much. Then I go back to my old ways haha. When I'm drunk I swear a bit - and I tend to shout when I'm drunk. It's a bit embarassing when I think about it. I don't like the c word though, I never use that.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    I swear a lot in written chat, like on msn or here. I swear a lot when I'm drunk. I swear a little bit normally. However, thinking about it, I would never swear in a letter, no matter how informal it was. Strange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01rudde)
    I say 'for god's sake' a lot too.
    Swearing is bad enough; blasphemy is inexcusable.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.