The Student Room Group
Original post by Tsrromi100
Hi all,

I am planning to start an access to law course in the next few days. Has anyone here taken an access course and applied to Cambridge before?

What advice would you give - even if you got rejected.

Thanks

I would strongly advise that you contact the admissions tutor(s), at your chosen college at Cambridge University. Because they prefer 'academic' A-Levels. But some Access courses are accepted by SOAS, City, RHUL, Birbeck and Goldsmiths, all part of the London University. :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by thegeek888
I would strongly advise that you contact the admissions tutor(s), at your chosen college at Cambridge University. Because they prefer 'academic' A-Levels. But some Access courses are accepted by SOAS, City, RHUL, Birbeck and Goldsmiths, all part of the London University. :wink:

Incorrect regarding the preferred qualification. If you are a mature student and taking an access course you obviously have reasons....
Original post by Tsrromi100
Incorrect regarding the preferred qualification. If you are a mature student and taking an access course you obviously have reasons....

Considering that Law is the most popular degree, some UCAS applicants don't even get one offer. :frown:

You will face competition from A-Level applicants with all A* and A grades in 3, 4 or even 5 A-Levels, especially at Cambridge University, LSE, UCL, KCL, SOAS, QMUL, Durham, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham, Glasgow and Bristol.

But once you have achieved the Access Course, you won't have A-Levels, so you might be impacted by your choice of applications to Law firms.

Access to HE Diploma
Attainment of an Access to HE Diploma with Distinctions in all relevant subject units can be acceptable preparation for most arts subjects (excluding Economics) and Psychological and Behavioural Sciences at Cambridge.
An Access to HE Diploma alone is not sufficient for sciences (excluding Psychological and Behavioural Sciences) or Economics at Cambridge.
In all cases, you should contact a College admissions office for advice.
Certain subject-specific requirements may be included in conditional offers for particular courses at Cambridge as well.

Architecture a good portfolio is required and an ability to draw. An interest in the History of Art is helpful. Mathematics is also required to a good GCSE standard.

Computer Science A Level Mathematics is required.

Economics A Level Mathematics is required.

Engineering A Level Mathematics is required.

Law applicants will need to demonstrate an aptitude for logical thinking, as well as competence in essay writing.

Mathematics an Access to HE Diploma alone is not sufficient preparation.

Music at least grade 5 piano is required.

Natural Sciences A Level Mathematics is required for the Physical Sciences and highly desirable for the Biological Sciences (the better an applicants' mathematical ability before they come to Cambridge, the more they will succeed. Those applicants without A Level Mathematics must take Mathematical Biology in Year 1 and are required to complete some preparatory work before the start of the course. See the course information for more details).

Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, Classics and History of Art applicants will need to demonstrate an aptitude for languages.

History applicants should note that an aptitude for languages opens up more choices within the History course at Cambridge.

Theology, Religion, and Philosophy of Religion applicants should be aware of the compulsory first-year scriptural language element.

The Access to HE Diploma is accepted for the Foundation Year, with no specific subject requirements.
See also the information for students aged 21 or older (mature students).
(edited 1 year ago)

I appreciate the effort but Access Diplomas are considered sufficient preparation for Law at Cambridge and on a par with A levels.
Reply 5
Original post by St Edmund's Admission
I appreciate the effort but Access Diplomas are considered sufficient preparation for Law at Cambridge and on a par with A levels.

So do you think I should also do a Access course? :s-smilie: Because I am also applying to PwC for ACA-CTA (they want A-Levels as they know I can achieve success this time as a mature student) as I can sit those exams in 10 months and will become a part-qualified Accountant when applying to Cambridge University.

Also, the fact I have self taught, Maths, Further Maths, French and Spanish and will score at least 2A* 2A as well as A-Level German. I got an A* grade in GCSE German and my names are German, so admissions might think it is a native mother tongue, when infact it is English. But nevertheless it is easy for me to get an A* or A in A-Level German.

So if I apply to Cambridge University as a mature student with A-Level grades achieved i.e. post A-Level will that be better? :s-smilie:

I can't understand how Law Access is better than A-Levels in Maths and especially Further Maths which is content in Year 1 and some content in Year 2 of degrees at Cambridge University, specifically in Maths, Economics, Engineering, Computer Science, Natural Sciences and even Psychology.

Surely a candidate with 3A* 2A or more in Maths, Further Maths, German, Spanish and French would be regarded and ranked higher in the admissions process than one with solely a Law Access course? :smile:
Reply 6
So do you think I should also do a Access course? :s-smilie: Because I am also applying to PwC for ACA-CTA (they want A-Levels as they know I can achieve success this time as a mature student) as I can sit those exams in 10 months and will become a part-qualified Accountant when applying to Cambridge University.

Aren't you only in Year 12 at the moment? Are you sure you mean "mature student" (which is what the OP is asking about) or are you just planning to apply post A Level, which isn't the same thing?
Reply 7
Original post by davros
Aren't you only in Year 12 at the moment? Are you sure you mean "mature student" (which is what the OP is asking about) or are you just planning to apply post A Level, which isn't the same thing?

I will be 21+ when I apply with my results achieved. :smile:

Also, the fact I have self taught, Maths, Further Maths, French and Spanish and will score at least 2A* 2A as well as A-Level German. I got an A* grade in GCSE German and my names are German, so admissions might think it is a native mother tongue, when infact it is English. But nevertheless it is easy for me to get an A* or A in A-Level German.

So if I apply to Cambridge University as a mature student with A-Level grades achieved i.e. post A-Level will that be better? :s-smilie:

I can't understand how Law Access is better than A-Levels in Maths and especially Further Maths which is content in Year 1 and some content in Year 2 of degrees at Cambridge University, specifically in Maths, Economics, Engineering, Computer Science, Natural Sciences and even Psychology.

Surely a candidate with 3A* 2A or more in Maths, Further Maths, German, Spanish and French would be regarded and ranked higher in the admissions process than one with solely a Law Access course? :smile:

If you are already taking A levels then there's little point to taking an access course as well. One is not better than the other - they are equivalent qualifications.
Reply 9
I will be 21+ when I apply with my results achieved. :smile:

Really? What do you plan on doing in between A levels and reaching that age?

Latest

Trending

Trending