The Student Room Group

How does repeating double award science turn into triple award?

Hi, I know the title may sound confusing.
So I’m currently an year 12 student in Northern Ireland who just got his GCSEs (6A*2 A 2C). So I really want to study maths chemistry and biology a level but my school wouldn’t allow it since in double award science I got an CC which is reasonable. Anyways my local college said that Im allowed to do maths,chemistry, biology a levels but I need to repeat my GCSE science cause this college only teaches AS chemistry so I have to go else where for second year of a levels. And I’ve checked with schools and they said even if I get an A in AS chem and bio I still need an B in gcse chem and bio. My local college is allowing me to repeat my science gcse but only as single science (triple award) for chem and bio. So I basically just wanted to know does that count as an repeat or do I get an extra 2 gcses?
Original post by Www.NîckName.con
Hi, I know the title may sound confusing.
So I’m currently an year 12 student in Northern Ireland who just got his GCSEs (6A*2 A 2C). So I really want to study maths chemistry and biology a level but my school wouldn’t allow it since in double award science I got an CC which is reasonable. Anyways my local college said that Im allowed to do maths,chemistry, biology a levels but I need to repeat my GCSE science cause this college only teaches AS chemistry so I have to go else where for second year of a levels. And I’ve checked with schools and they said even if I get an A in AS chem and bio I still need an B in gcse chem and bio. My local college is allowing me to repeat my science gcse but only as single science (triple award) for chem and bio. So I basically just wanted to know does that count as an repeat or do I get an extra 2 gcses?

You'd end up with 2 additional GCSEs. You won't have repeated double-award Science, but will have additionally taken single-award Chemistry and single-award Biology.

Note that the single-award Chemistry and Biology will contain more content than you'll have already covered in double-award Science, so expect to be learning new topics, not just recovering topics you already know.

It's also worth checking if the exam board is the same as the one you used for double-award Science. If it's different, be prepared for differences in the way questions are asked, and potentially how marks are awarded.

Quick Reply

Latest