The Student Room Group

Personal statement tips for similar courses

I'm applying for a mixture of join math and physics and single physics degrees and in the process of writing my personal statement. I have it a bit more physics-biased because of the single physics courses but am afraid I don't have enough maths. On the other hand, if I were to include some of my purer math interests then idk how the single physics course unis will view that. If anyone applied to a similar mixture or generally has tips on how to balance something like this it'd be much appreciated. thanks
Original post by Mocha Latte
I'm applying for a mixture of join math and physics and single physics degrees and in the process of writing my personal statement. I have it a bit more physics-biased because of the single physics courses but am afraid I don't have enough maths. On the other hand, if I were to include some of my purer math interests then idk how the single physics course unis will view that. If anyone applied to a similar mixture or generally has tips on how to balance something like this it'd be much appreciated. thanks

Hey , I would maybe focus ur statement on the skill set associated with these subjects such as problem solving, equations etc rather than directly talking about the subjects themselves mention briefly how you studied both and how they you enjoyed them and the skills they’ve allowed you to gain. Hope this helped
Presumably your intro will say something along the lines of either 'I want to study physics because...' or 'I am interested in maths and physics because...' - it will be obvious that you are not applying for the same courses to those unis, and there's nothing you can do to change that I'm afraid. Obviously there is a lot of maths in physics, so the admissions tutors may be OK with that, but maybe not. You'll have to decide eventually what you want to study though?
Reply 3
Supposing you got offers from all of them, which would you firm?
Yeah I'm starting my drafting with talking about stuff I did and I tried to say e.g. "I am interested in how [math concept] is used in formalising [physics concept]" but I haven't yet explicitly included an "why I want to do x" section yet and I'm quite struggling. Like I do think long term I see myself more in physics than maths but I still really like the joint courses and the only ones that aren't joint (Imperial theoretical physics and Oxford) have quite high math content - (Oxford also gives an option to do an MMathPhys). idk it's such a hard decision :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending