This discussion is closed.
Rose64
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
What are everyone's opinions on these? I saw the debate on Watchdog last night, and was really irritated by supporters who feel it necessary to drive these monster killing machine cars around cities. None of their arguments really stood up to much; the fact is that they use far more fossil fuels than average family cars, and are really dangerous to pedestrians. Does anyone care to defend them?

Apologies for this biased post, I probably should have attempted to remain neutral on the matter, but I just can't imagine any worthy reason for people owning them?!
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Rose64)
What are everyone's opinions on these? I saw the debate on Watchdog last night, and was really irritated by supporters who feel it necessary to drive these monster killing machine cars around cities. None of their arguments really stood up to much; the fact is that they use far more fossil fuels than average family cars, and are really dangerous to pedestrians. Does anyone care to defend them?

Apologies for this biased post, I probably should have attempted to remain neutral on the matter, but I just can't imagine any worthy reason for people owning them?!
not sure what your gripe is...

"monster killing machine cars" in reference to what? the perception they kill more people or that they are less fuel efficient or both or what?

all cars, regardless of size pollute the environment and can kill you easily at low speeds. the important factor is the person controlling the pedals and the wheel
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
all cars, regardless of size pollute the environment and can kill you easily at low speeds. the important factor is the person controlling the pedals and the wheel
Sadly there are alot of bad drivers so the more we can do to reduce the risk of deaths on the road the better.

When a 4 by 4 hits a person, they are more likely to die at the same speed.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
Sadly there are alot of bad drivers so the more we can do to reduce the risk of deaths on the road the better.

When a 4 by 4 hits a person, they are more likely to die at the same speed.
what about if you get hit by a bus...? it'll spread you better than a 4x4 ever would
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago
what about if you get hit by a bus...? it'll spread you better than a 4x4 ever would
Why has this topic been opened here when an identical one is in the general chat?
cheesecakebobby
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For women it is empowerment.

For men it is a surrogate penis.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Agreed. However buses are big as they have about 30 people on them, their drivers are better trained and get more experience at driving a large vechicle. They also due to the nature of bus stops being every half a mile or so travel at a lower speed on average.

If all 4 by 4 users had their car because they needed due to large families I would understand that this increased risk of death might be acceptable however most do not and could just as easily have a normal car.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Why has this topic been opened here when an identical one is in the general chat?
dont ask me. i didnt start it
Rose64
Rep:
?
I think it's more appropriately placed in debate and discussion, and I didn't see the one in general chat. :p:

Although the person driving the car is an important factor, 4x4s use more fuel and are more likely to kill pedestrians, as I originally said. :rolleyes:
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Your chances of surviving being hit by a car travelling at 40mph are very slim regardless of it being a Humvee of a Golf Polo.
mr_tomus
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Bring on hydrogen cars, then we can all have 4x4s.
Rose64
Rep:
?
(Original post by Howard)
Your chances of surviving being hit by a car travelling at 40mph are very slim regardless of it being a Humvee of a Golf Polo.
They're slim either way, but surely you recognise that the odds of you surviving are decreased even further if you're hit by a 4x4?
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
but at 20mph.....
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
but at 20mph.....
Who drives at 20mph? Even my granny goes faster than that.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Who drives at 20mph? Even my granny goes faster than that.
Well if you are in a 30mph speed limit and then a child steps out in front of the car 10m ahead you will be able to apply the brakes however wont be able to stop in time so in which case you may well be doing 20mph.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They're slim either way, but surely you recognise that the odds of you surviving are decreased even further if you're hit by a 4x4?
Maybe but generally, if a driver hits a pedestrian at 20 mph, the pedestrian has a 95% chance of survival. At 30 mph the survival chance is 80% and if a driver hits a pedestrian at 40 mph, the pedestrian's survival chances fall to just 10%
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Maybe but generally, if a driver hits a pedestrian at 20 mph, the pedestrian has a 95% chance of survival. At 30 mph the survival chance is 80% and if a driver hits a pedestrian at 40 mph, the pedestrian's survival chances fall to just 10%
Ok I am not disagreeing with anything there. The chances of survival are going to be higher tho if the car is a car and not a 4 by 4 tho. 4 by 4 weighs more, its shape is less bad for your survival chances and if your a dwarf the driver wont see you anyway.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well if you are in a 30mph speed limit and then a child steps out in front of the car 10m ahead you will be able to apply the brakes however wont be able to stop in time so in which case you may well be doing 20mph.
Just for general interest an average family car travelling at 35mph will need an extra 21 feet to stop than one travelling at 30mph, but lets not confuse stopping distance with force of impact.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just for general interest an average family car travelling at 35mph will need an extra 21 feet to stop than one travelling at 30mph, but lets not confuse stopping distance with force of impact.
I am aware of that fact. I do physics for crying out loud.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ok I am not disagreeing with anything there. The chances of survival are going to be higher tho if the car is a car and not a 4 by 4 tho. 4 by 4 weight, its shape is less bad for your survival chances and if your a dwarf the driver wont see you anyway.
I can't be accountable to dwarfs that get in my way.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (16)
6.81%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.64%
I don't think they'd understand (39)
16.6%
It might lead to more bullying (84)
35.74%
There's nothing they could do (71)
30.21%

Watched Threads