The Student Room Group

SC Election - Russia

We have two candidates for the seat of Russia on the UN Security Council. They are Student2806, currently representing France, and lodzinski, currently representing micronesia. The manifestos are below.

Student2806In my past positions in the MUN, I have represented Colombia and Spain, and since being elected as the French ambassador, I have proved to be competent in dealing with a P5 nation.
Now however, after 5 months representing France, I feel a new challenge is in order, and becoming Russian rep would certainly provide the opportunity for this.
Russia is a controversial country with a unique position in the world a fact which often leads to clashes with Western nations on many levels, and having a consistent voice for the country in the General Assembly and the Security Council is essential to maintain the realism of the MUN. In recent times, I have been one of the most active members in the GA something that would not change if I were elected to this role.
I fully intend to uphold Russia's position as a re-emerging global power that is not afraid to disagree with the West.

lodzinskiIt was with much regret that I left TSR and requested to be banned a few months back, and with this, resigned my post in the MUN. After some gentle prodding from people, I have decided to return to help astoners out, and to rejoin the MUN.

As the Russia seat is now vacant once more, I am putting my name forward to represent this great and proud nation. I have experience in representing Russia, and in researching the issues surrounding it. I believe I could do an excellent job in putting Russia's views and message across, and in debating with other members. Ethereal is always a tough act to follow, but I would like to give it my best shot.

Any problems please PM me, otherwise there will be a 48 hour discussion, followed by a poll in the usual manner. Please observe all proper decorum etc.

Scroll to see replies

As representatives of such a powerful nation, what will each candidate do to protect foreign investment?
Captain Biggles
As representatives of such a powerful nation, what will each candidate do to protect foreign investment?

Could you clarify what you mean by foreign investment.
Do you mean how will we protect Russia internally from foreign investment, or investments/assets Russian companies have abroad?
Reply 3
Russia is a nation which is responsible with its finances, and helps, both through legislation and working with companies, to protect investors, and the companies they invest in, from dishonest practice, and irresponsible decisions. As representative for Russia, I would use my remit to work with other nations, and communicate with them to make sure that investments are safeguarded. During this time of financial crisis, it is important that nations, and bodies such as the IMF, work together to ensure future financial wellbeing on a global scale.
Reply 4
To both : is russia communist? Has it ever been? Will it ever be?
Ethereal
To both : is russia communist? Has it ever been? Will it ever be?

[OOC: :lolwut: An odd question to ask, Ethereal]

Russia is not a communist nation. It has worked hard over the last 17 years to shake off its troubled past - and today, under the framework of a representative democracy, it has a revitalised and booming economy based around its vast natural resource reserves.
Reply 6
Russia is a democratic nation, and a federal republic which does not have the ideas of collective ownership, as is seen by the emergence of highly affluent young russians, something not allowed by a strictly communist system. It could be argued, academically, that the true idea of a communist state set out in Marx's 'communist manifesto' and other writings, was never achieved in Russia, nor has it been achieved anywhere, thus making the answer 'no, Russia has never been communist, but was for some time a totalitarian state set up along the lines of communism'. However, this would be to delve too deep into semantics. At present, Russia has seen attacks from the media over some of its policies, which have been seen as a return to a very centralised, controlling government.

Russia is a unique nation, and in the post-soviet era, is still in a state of flux, politically, economically, and socially. You can never say never, but in my opinion Russia will not be communist in the forseeable future, as the system is not, in my opinion, workable in the current world environment.

To link slightly more to the election, I feel that as representative for Russia, I would need to manage the unique political situation in Russia, and convey what is going on in Russia to the rest of the MUN.
Reply 7
Poll up people.
China wishes both candidates good luck in their quest to become MUN representative for Russia.
Reply 9
Since we are still allowed to ask questions...

Most of us know that Student is active in the MUN. How are we to know that lodzinski, a relative newcomer, although I understand that he has been active in the past, will be active enough to fulfil the role?
Student2806, if you lose the election will you stay on as France?
Craghyrax
Student2806, if you lose the election will you stay on as France?

I have stated in my manifesto that I would relish the opportunity to represent the always colourful and controversial Russia.
That is not to say that I have lost interest in my role as France, and if I am unsuccessful in this election I would continue to represent the country.

[Makes me sound so pessimistic about my chances, doesn't it :p:]
'How are we to know that lodzinski, a relative newcomer, although I understand that he has been active in the past, will be active enough to fulfil the role?'

In the past I have taken on roles within the MUN ranging from Andorra right up to th P5 role as Russia, and spent many months as Russia, including handling the Georgian spy plane shooting, as well as other issues - a quick search for older topics will bring up my debating and voting records, and I ask you to judge my commitment and ability on these. as for the 'newcomer' tag....... I've been here longer. :wink:
Reply 14
lodzinski
'How are we to know that lodzinski, a relative newcomer, although I understand that he has been active in the past, will be active enough to fulfil the role?'

In the past I have taken on roles within the MUN ranging from Andorra right up to th P5 role as Russia, and spent many months as Russia, including handling the Georgian spy plane shooting, as well as other issues - a quick search for older topics will bring up my debating and voting records, and I ask you to judge my commitment and ability on these. as for the 'newcomer' tag....... I've been here longer. :wink:

Andorra :five:

My point was that although you were certainly active when you were last around, can you promise a similar level of activity now?
Unicef would like to wish both candidates the best of luck.
Suhaili
Andorra :five:

My point was that although you were certainly active when you were last around, can you promise a similar level of activity now?

Indeed. if anything I would be more active this time round, as i've actually sorted myself out.
:bawling:

Just kidding! :p:
Well done Lodz - good to have you back on the Security Council :gthumb:
Reply 18
*ahem*

The Secretary General declares lodzinski the winner :smile:
Reply 19
Andorra extends its congratulations :smile:

Latest