Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    College libraries, subject libraries, general libraries, the utterly useless Bodleian library, does anybody else wish that they would just bulldoze one of the more useless colleges (eg Christchurch) and dump all their books there in one big pile so that everybody from every college and every department has access to ALL the books without having to get special permits or request stuff to be dug up from some 17th Century mausoleum somewhere?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    College libraries, subject libraries, general libraries, the utterly useless Bodleian library, does anybody else wish that they would just bulldoze one of the more useless colleges (eg Christchurch) and dump all their books there in one big pile so that everybody from every college and every department has access to ALL the books without having to get special permits or request stuff to be dug up from some 17th Century mausoleum somewhere?
    Utterly useless for what?:confused: And no, I've always found the library system quite handy.

ReputationRep:
    I think the university library system is fine, if a little over-stretched at times. All I need to do to use another departmental library is just rock up, 'register for the library' - involving little more than handing over my bod card, and get what book/s I need.

As for college libraries, my experience has been that if one has a book you can't get anywhere else, a polite email to the college librarian does wonders

The only issue I've got with the Bod are the VERY restricted weekend opening hours during long vacations. There are still lots of us DPhil students around during the "holidays", and the distinction between weekdays and weekends can be grey at the best of times
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I love the fact that there are so many libraries! It means that there are enough copies to go around!

That said, I really don't like the Bod or the Taylorian

RSL is an awful awful place.

ReputationRep:
    No, I actually find the library system easy to use and very useful.

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Its more the librarians than the libraries that I don't like. There are a few gems, but generally speaking they are the most useless and unhelpful bunch I have ever come across. Having spent time at the British Library, Harvard's, LSE's and King's libraries I do not find the comparison favourable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Utterly useless for what?:confused: And no, I've always found the library system quite handy.
    Useless for borrowing books.

ReputationRep:
    Do you study in Oxford or London?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Useless for borrowing books.
    But you don't have to borrow them in order to be able to use them, do you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a lawyer, I've used about ten books, ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    But you don't have to borrow them in order to be able to use them, do you?
    Textbooks and such, no. Leisure reading, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    Do you study in Oxford or London?
    The former. I would not have particularly strong feelings about the library system here if I still studied in London.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford city library seem pretty good. I have a library card with toucans on.

ReputationRep:
    No. You have access to every book published, what's your problem? Just go and read in the library rather than grumping about not being able to take them all out.

ReputationRep:
    The SBS library irritates me at times but that's just because there are a lot of us for the same essential reading list and the college libraries aren't stocked up on undergraduate management books...obviously!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Just go and read in the library
    Mental. What do you do at 2am?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    No. You have access to every book published, what's your problem? Just go and read in the library rather than grumping about not being able to take them all out.
    I don't want access, I want to be able to read some of them in the evenings. Is that really so unreasonable? It just peeves me how my choice of subject and college restrict what I can easily borrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Mental. What do you do at 2am?
    Plan in advance, so you don't have to stay up all night working. And sleep, like normal people.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want access, I want to be able to read some of them in the evenings. Is that really so unreasonable? It just peeves me how my choice of subject and college restrict what I can easily borrow.
    Every college library that I know of is open until at least 11, most much later. The bod is open until 10. How far into the evenings do you want?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.