Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Every college library that I know of is open until at least 11, most much later. The bod is open until 10. How far into the evenings do you want?
    I mean I want easy access to libraries of other collegies that might be better stocked than my own.

Also I like to read in bed. I don't suppose they would appreciate if I turn up in my PJs with an inflatable matress.

ReputationRep:
    Plan in advance, so you don't have to stay up all night working. And sleep, like normal people.
    So what sounds more reasonable?

1. Making everybody stick to the same work/read/sleep schedule because of some archaic system.

2. Allowing people to borrow books from wherever they want so they can work/read/sleep according to their own schedule.

ReputationRep:
    No. You have access to every book published, what's your problem? Just go and read in the library rather than grumping about not being able to take them all out.
    Are you at Oxford though? Because every time I have been to get a book out from there to have a look at it (not even obscure ones) I'm told I have to wait 2 days while the book is shipped from saltmines in Sussex or something.

It sounds fantastic - every book published - but in reality it's just a pain. Also a very intimidating place imo!

I quite like my faculty library but all the books I need are always taken out.

So OP YES I'll join in your hate of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ***amy***)
    Are you at Oxford though? Because every time I have been to get a book out from there to have a look at it (not even obscure ones) I'm told I have to wait 2 days while the book is shipped from saltmines in Sussex or something.

It sounds fantastic - every book published - but in reality it's just a pain. Also a very intimidating place imo!

I quite like my faculty library but all the books I need are always taken out.

So OP YES I'll join in your hate of it.
    Yea I forgot about that. I once went to the RSL to request an item that was on their "stack" somewhere and they told me I would have to wait a week or some such ungodly time period for it to arrive from Fort Knox or wherever they store these things.

ReputationRep:
    Are you at Oxford though?
    Yes.
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    I mean I want easy access to libraries of other collegies that might be better stocked than my own.

Also I like to read in bed. I don't suppose they would appreciate if I turn up in my PJs with an inflatable matress.
    I don't understand why you'd need this. The Bod has reference things, and if you're desperate to borrow, the faculty libraries are very well stocked. Certainly better stocked than your average college library.
    So what sounds more reasonable?

1. Making everybody stick to the same work/read/sleep schedule because of some archaic system.

2. Allowing people to borrow books from wherever they want so they can work/read/sleep according to their own schedule.
    This is Oxford. Archaic systems are everywhere, and they give the place character. The Bod (and most associated libraries) are open 9am-10pm, that's more than half the day, and suits the vast majority.
    The fact that the books can't be borrowed from the Bod is one of its assets, in my opinion. In no other library is there the guarantee that you can access a certain book, whereas in the Bod the open shelf books are always available, and books can be called from the stacks to almost any of the reading rooms.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

I don't understand why you'd need this. The Bod has reference things, and if you're desperate to borrow, the faculty libraries are very well stocked. Certainly better stocked than your average college library.

Because some books are only available in the Bod or other colleges (a lot of which are not even that obscure, ie still in print today and directly relevant to some Oxford departments) but are books that I would like to read at home for leisure. I appreciate that this sounds like extravagant luxury to you.

ReputationRep:
    There are thousands of other students who also need the books. So no, you can't take books your college library doesn't have out to read them in bed - someone else whose college library doesn't have the book might just want to look at it.

Seriously, of all the things at Oxford to hate, the Bod - the place that enables you to do your work even if some **** in your college has taken out all the books on your reading list out at once, write essays in peace, and stare at the Rad Cam's lovely ceiling - is a bizarre choice.

Because some books are only available in the Bod (a lot of which are not even that obscure, ie still in print today and directly relevant to some Oxford departments) but are books that I would like to read at home for leisure. I appreciate that this sounds like extravagant luxury to you.
    Yes it does, you aren't the only person here. So no, you can't take home THE ONLY COPY IN OXFORD for extended periods of time because you like to read whilst lying down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayfly)
    There are thousands of other students who also need the books. So no, you can't take books your college library doesn't have out to read them in bed - someone else whose college library doesn't have the book might just want to look at it.

Seriously, of all the things at Oxford to hate, the Bod - the place that enables you to do your work even if some **** in your college has taken out all the books on your reading list out at once, write essays in peace, and stare at the Rad Cam's lovely ceiling - is a bizarre choice.

Yes it does, you aren't the only person here. So no, you can't take home THE ONLY COPY IN OXFORD for extended periods of time because you like to read whilst lying down.
    Other universities seem to manage just fine. You can always put a request on a book if someone else has taken it out and/or reserve copies for use in the library only. I would gladly trade in having a library that stocks ONE copy of EVERY book but doesn't lend them to a library that stocks MULTIPLE copies of A LOT of books that one can borrow.

Also I don't hate the Bod, I hate the "federal" library system as a whole.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Textbooks and such, no. Leisure reading, yes.
    Oh, come on. Surely you're not dependant on the Bod for your leisure reading?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayfly)

Hear hear.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    ... and that's why you look up books on OLIS and place a stack order if necessary before you go there.

ReputationRep:
    Other universities seem to manage just fine. You can always put a request on a book if someone else has taken it out. I would gladly trade in having a library that stocks ONE copy of EVERY book but doesn't lend them to a library that stocks MULTIPLE copies of A LOT of books that one can borrow.
    Other universities don't set people one essay to do every week. So you can take it out for a week in your two month deadline, and not seriously inconvenience anyone. That isn't the case here. Most of the books that other universities have multiple copies of, Oxford has multiple, lendable copies of. If only the Bod has a copy, it's probably pretty obscure. And there's always the All Soul's permission letter route.

Seriously, I get that the library system can sometimes be irritating but get over it and join a local library or something.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just you, really.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Other universities seem to manage just fine. You can always put a request on a book if someone else has taken it out and/or reserve copies for use in the library only. I would gladly trade in having a library that stocks ONE copy of EVERY book but doesn't lend them to a library that stocks MULTIPLE copies of A LOT of books that one can borrow.
    Go and do a master's degree at another university, then. You'll soon be wishing you had access to the bod again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Oh, come on. Surely you're not dependant on the Bod for your leisure reading?
    Well no, I don't use the Bod for any of my leisure reading because they don't lend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    I think it's just you, really.
    Would seem so.

ReputationRep:
    Well no, I don't use the Bod for any of my leisure reading because they don't lend.
    The Bod isn't intended as a leisure library, though. It's for work, and research.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Well, what I meant was, there are other ways of getting your leisure reading. You could join the Oxford (non-university, that is) library, or you could simply use some of your money to buy books. The bod just isn't intended to cater for leisure reading, it's intended to cater for people doing research. And it's great at that.

ReputationRep:
    The Bod isn't intended as a leisure library, though. It's for work, and research.
    I know. But a lot of the books I would like to read in my spare time are available somewhere in Oxford sitting unused on some shelf but are not immediately available to me because of this strange system of restrictions and special exemptions. I would be happier if that were not the case, and when I made the thread I thought others might be too, though now I know better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Well, what I meant was, there are other ways of getting your leisure reading. You could join the Oxford (non-university, that is) library, or you could simply use some of your money to buy books. The bod just isn't intended to cater for leisure reading, it's intended to cater for people doing research. And it's great at that.
    I do. I use a lot of it. But if I'm about to buy a book and then notice that it's stocked somewhere in Oxford that I can't borrow it from, I find that slightly irritating.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.