Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    I do. I use a lot of it. But if I'm about to buy a book and then notice that it's stocked somewhere in Oxford that I can't borrow it from, I find that slightly irritating.
    Why? It's already a great privilege that it's available for you to read. At many other universities you wouldn't have that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Why? It's already a great privilege that it's available for you to read. At many other universities you wouldn't have that.
    To be honest my attack was directed more at the college library system than at the Bod, and the fact that colleges will only allow non-college students to use their library by apointment, letter from supervisor, royal fiat or whatever. I suppose it just reflects my gripes with the collegiate system as a whole.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    To be honest my attack was directed more at the college library system than at the Bod, and the fact that colleges will only allow non-college students to use their library by apointment, letter from supervisor, royal fiat or whatever. I suppose it just reflects my gripes with the collegiate system as a whole.
    Fair enough - and I'll admit that I've also repeatedly gnashed my teeth when a book was taken out both at the faculty library and at my college library, yet there was a copy at, say, Balliol, which was apparently collecting dust on the shelves because none of their students seemed to want it. But then again, college libraries are maintained by the colleges, not the university. You can't really blame them for giving preference to college members and making it their priority that the books are available to them rather than random visitors. It's a courtesy that college libraries allow people who aren't members of the college to use them at all.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    This is why you make friends with people across a range of colleges, so that you can call in favours when you need to. I've borrowed books and lent them to friends on at least three occasions :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    This is why you make friends with people across a range of colleges, so that you can call in favours when you need to. I've borrowed books and lent them to friends on at least three occasions :yep:
    That is pretty good advice actually!

ReputationRep:
    aka networking. actually, that's just how the world works

ReputationRep:
    just get your college library to buy the books you need, if they're as unused in other colleges as you claim you can probably keep them for a year or so

ReputationRep:
    The college librarian is always telling me that book allowances for a lot of subjects go unused.

ReputationRep:
    Library closing times do my head in - a fact which didn't raise much sympathy in the Cambridge Chat thread :p: My most productive hours are the evening/early morning, because its unbroken, and I struggle to get good momentum going if I only have, say, 2hours free between lunch and a supervision or whatever.

At Cambridge, to the best of my knowledge, only college members can use college libraries. I have asked friends to borrow books for me, particularly one awful occasion where the UL was closed because it was the weekend, the Department library was closed for the same reason, and my college library didn't stock it :>.<: Again the main point of irritation here is that other colleges have 24hour libraries unlike mine, and I can't use them, or take my work and sit in them.

Aside from the above, and using the seemingly identical Cambridge 'federal' library system as my example, I think the system is amazing! You essentially will never go without a book you need if you are organised (eg predicting in advance and asking your library to order it in, using their often unused funds, or photocopying from the UL/Bod) This is a considerable achievement considering the sheer amount of material we all have to cover in such a compact space of time.

Have you considered working out how much you want to read and photocopying enough to read in bed? I assume you can't have that much free time for extra reading, so it can't be too expensive every now and again. Meanwhile order the books in at your college library so you can make a start before it arrives.

ReputationRep:
    fair enough- this is understandable- surely though you can therefore see the benefits of bod not lending books out so that you can always get access to a copy, unless someone is actually there reading it at the same time. I can't remember the exact figures, but the Cambridge UL, also a copyright library but lends books out, has a massive proportion of their stocks missing.

I quite like what the RSL have done, merging with the Hooke lending library. Now most books have several copies on the shelf with one marked reference only.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from finding the Sackler more than slightly confusing I love the libraries here!!

ReputationRep:
    The Sackler is such a mare what with having to use lockers and stuff and all the stupid barriers which you have to swipe through to get in which isn't very helpful when you're trying to get in/out with 10 books. I do love my 24 hour college library though. Godsend.

ReputationRep:
    Stop complaining, the Cambridge UL closes at 7pm, at least the Bodleian is open until 10pm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)

I don't understand why you'd need this. The Bod has reference things, and if you're desperate to borrow, the faculty libraries are very well stocked. Certainly better stocked than your average college library.

This is Oxford. Archaic systems are everywhere, and they give the place character. The Bod (and most associated libraries) are open 9am-10pm, that's more than half the day, and suits the vast majority.
    The fact that the books can't be borrowed from the Bod is one of its assets, in my opinion. In no other library is there the guarantee that you can access a certain book, whereas in the Bod the open shelf books are always available, and books can be called from the stacks to almost any of the reading rooms.
    Sadly the books I need at the faculty library are ALWAYS taken out. It's genuinely a real problem where I'm having to buy books that I really don't want to buy as it's so difficult.

I think the Bod is fantastic for some people and it's also very good that you can't borrow the books. However it doesn't necessarily have books that are printed in America/ Canada - it has some, but it's not required to have them so often it actually doesn't have books I need. Thus the faculty library is usually better in this regard.

(Original post by hobnob)
    ... and that's why you look up books on OLIS and place a stack order if necessary before you go there.
    I've just done exactly that (placed stack orders) and won't get the books I need till Monday.. I get multiple essays a week, I don't have time to wait 3 or 4 days to get a book.

The library system probably is a silly thing to moan about as in reality it's very good and no system is going to be ideal with thousands of students needing books at once, but I'm just feeling a lot of angst against it at the moment as I can't get the books I need anywhere grr so for the moment I'll join in the hate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayfly)
    And there's always the All Soul's permission letter route.
    I've never heard of this - mind explaining?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rkd)
    I've never heard of this - mind explaining?
    You can get a letter from your tutor which allows you to use the Old Souls' library - often empty, very well stocked so always another source of books!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisti_kate)
    You can get a letter from your tutor which allows you to use the Old Souls' library - often empty, very well stocked so always another source of books!
    Aha, have done some digging and understand now - thanks! I'll try and schmooze my tutor into approving it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ***amy***)
    I've just done exactly that (placed stack orders) and won't get the books I need till Monday.. I get multiple essays a week, I don't have time to wait 3 or 4 days to get a book.
    That's just because the Bodleian staff who do the stack orders don't work between Friday afternoon and Monday morning, though. Can't you get your tutor(s) to give you your reading lists by Thursday afternoon / Friday morning? I'm sure if you explained that you're finding it difficult to get your stack orders on time, they'd let you have the lists a bit earlier.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Saturday Night Special)
    Stop complaining, the Cambridge UL closes at 7pm, at least the Bodleian is open until 10pm.
    Only the old part of the Bodleian is open til 10pm though. The New (i.e. evil) part of the Bodleian closes much earlier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ***amy***)
    I think the Bod is fantastic for some people and it's also very good that you can't borrow the books. However it doesn't necessarily have books that are printed in America/ Canada - it has some, but it's not required to have them so often it actually doesn't have books I need. Thus the faculty library is usually better in this regard.
    Which books have you needed that the Bod doesn't have?

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.