Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ***amy***)
    Sadly the books I need at the faculty library are ALWAYS taken out. It's genuinely a real problem where I'm having to buy books that I really don't want to buy as it's so difficult.

I think the Bod is fantastic for some people and it's also very good that you can't borrow the books. However it doesn't necessarily have books that are printed in America/ Canada - it has some, but it's not required to have them so often it actually doesn't have books I need. Thus the faculty library is usually better in this regard.

I've just done exactly that (placed stack orders) and won't get the books I need till Monday.. I get multiple essays a week, I don't have time to wait 3 or 4 days to get a book.

The library system probably is a silly thing to moan about as in reality it's very good and no system is going to be ideal with thousands of students needing books at once, but I'm just feeling a lot of angst against it at the moment as I can't get the books I need anywhere grr so for the moment I'll join in the hate.
    That is a good point. A substantial amount of my booklist is by North American scholars and they're not always in the Bod :no: That said, I've usually managed to get them in the end. One of the benefits of the Short Loan collections

ReputationRep:
    I've never been unable to get books. Is the RSL the only library to buy loads of copies of the same texts?

ReputationRep:
    One way I weed out books on my reading list is if I have to order them up from the stacks. Meh.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn’t Oxford university have one of the biggest library systems in the world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElectricOceans)
    Yes but it's very fragmented and the amount of books a given student has immediate access to is typically not that large.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    Yes but it's very fragmented and the amount of books a given student has immediate access to is typically not that large.
    Still larger than the average university, I'd imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpchem)
    Still larger than the average university, I'd imagine.
    Yeah, I think its still the biggest university library in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    It certainly is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElectricOceans)
    Yes, the OP problem is that the main library doesn't lend books, and that college libraries only lend to members of that college. The other issue is that a lot of the books are in storage, and it can take a while to get hold of some books (you have to place a request to have them brought up, and if it's really obscure it'll take best part of a week to retrieve from some offsite repository, and they don't have runners available at the weekend to pick up the locally stored books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    RSL is an awful awful place.
    It's alright now they've got the Hooke bit open (I think this is what it is - the wing bit) - lovely big huge windows with a choice between a people-watching-for-procrastination and a unbusy outlook. The dungeon bit is on the bleak side though.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of anyone waiting for anything like a week at the UL. I could be wrong, but I don't think any of our books are stored offsite :dontknow: The only complaints I hear about are the silly closing time and just general grumbling at having to go do your work there instead of taking books home with you.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I've never heard of anyone waiting for anything like a week at the UL. I could be wrong, but I don't think any of our books are stored offsite :dontknow: The only complaints I hear about are the silly closing time and just general grumbling at having to go do your work there instead of taking books home with you.
    The problem isn't so much books being stored offsite but books actually having to be stored outside Oxford (including in that famous salt mine), because the bod has pretty much run out of expansion space in Oxford. That's why they were so keen to build that hideous building in Osney Mead. Curiously, the proposal for that was then turned down because it would spoil the view of Oxford, not on the much more sensible grounds that building a store for books right in the middle of an area which which has recently been affected by floods seems a bit counterintuitive...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    The problem isn't so much books being stored offsite but books actually having to be stored outside Oxford (including in that famous salt mine), because the bod has pretty much run out of expansion space in Oxford. That's why they were so keen to build that hideous building in Osney Mead. Curiously, the proposal for that was then turned down because it would spoil the view of Oxford, not on the much more sensible grounds that building a store for books right in the middle of an area which which has recently been affected by floods seems a bit counterintuitive...
    I see. Well clearly Cambridge are far more pragmatic about things :p: They obviously weren't worried about looks when they designed the UL :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Considering you can ask your college librarian to buy in books you need, your college may have a book grant scheme, and that the only hardship may be having to share five copies of Molles' Ecology between eight of you, compared to two copies between 200 (certain prestigious universities elsewhere in the country)... I think putting up with not always having the book when you want it isn't that much to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Considering you can ask your college librarian to buy in books you need, your college may have a book grant scheme, and that the only hardship may be having to share five copies of Molles' Ecology between eight of you, compared to two copies between 200 (certain prestigious universities elsewhere in the country)... I think putting up with not always having the book when you want it isn't that much to ask.
    This is very true and I think it is a really good system in general, but for humanities subjects you often need books that there might only be 1 or 2 copies of in the whole of Oxford and for a short period of time, so by the time they've bought the book in for you (which takes about a term anyway) it's way too late. 5 copies would be lovely.. I have no problem sharing books with people in my college.

ReputationRep:
    I freely admit I am not a fan of the Bod. I find the automatically criminalising attitude, when you are quite clearly a student there (showing Bod Card, fine; checking your bags on your way in and out, not fine...imo), really intimidating. It's also difficult to find your way around. I much preferred the Taylorian and the MFL Library and miss them both; the staff at the Oriental Institute and the Chinese Studies Library were also all very helpful whenever I had to go there. Whenever I needed anything from the Bod, I'd just request it from the stacks to be delivered to one of the above libraries, all of which had far cosier atmospheres.
    I also found my college library at LMH excellent - it was open 24/7 and happened to be very good for my subject. It would be nice to have been able to use other colleges' libraries occasionally, though.

(Original post by cpchem)
    I've never been unable to get books. Is the RSL the only library to buy loads of copies of the same texts?
    Nope, the MFL Library always seemed to have several copies of things.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Angelil)
    I freely admit I am not a fan of the Bod. I find the automatically criminalising attitude, when you are quite clearly a student there (showing Bod Card, fine; checking your bags on your way in and out, not fine...imo), really intimidating. It's also difficult to find your way around. I much preferred the Taylorian and the MFL Library and miss them both; the staff at the Oriental Institute and the Chinese Studies Library were also all very helpful whenever I had to go there. Whenever I needed anything from the Bod, I'd just request it from the stacks to be delivered to one of the above libraries, all of which had far cosier atmospheres.
    I also found my college library at LMH excellent - it was open 24/7 and happened to be very good for my subject. It would be nice to have been able to use other colleges' libraries occasionally, though.
    You've mentioned this before, but I still don't really see what's so terrible about having your bags checked, to be honest. College libraries do that as well. There's nothing criminalising about it, and no-one's suspecting you in particular of being a thief, it's simply a way of trying to ensure nothing gets nicked. What would you suggest they should do instead? Stick magnetic strips into 500-year-old books so they beep when you try to leave the building with them?

ReputationRep:
    My college library didn't do that...
    Maybe I'm wrong for thinking they should implicitly trust their students...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    My college library has never searched my bag.

I don't really have a problem with the idea of a bag search itself, but I do wish that if they have a bag search, they did it properly
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Angelil)
    My college library didn't do that...
    Maybe I'm wrong for thinking they should implicitly trust their students...
    Well, I'm all for trust and all that, but where valuable books are concerned, I think implicit trust is a bad idea.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.