The Student Room Group

A level choices

Hi, I'm about to go into Year 11 and am studying maths, english lit & lang, french, combined science, geography and psychology. In my Year 10 mocks I got a grade 9 (in psychology), grade 8 (english language), four grade 7s, a grade 6 and a grade 3 (in French, whoops). I am thinking of studying law, psychology and english lit for a level even though I am better at english language. I've read online however, that literature is far more respected. If anyone is doing these a- levels ( or one of them), please tell me if they are enjoyable or not. Also, how hard are they?
Thanks, Amber :smile:
Hello, I just completed my A level law and A level psychology courses. Personally I enjoyed them both. Law was enjoyable for me as it was interesting to look at our legal system and gain a more in-depth knowledge. If you're interested in it, I would definitely recommend it! There is a lot of case law, statutes to remember though, so make sure you're up for memorising a lot of case names!

Psychology was enjoyable for me as it was fascinating, especially for topics such as psychopathology. There is a little bit of maths involved, but at A level, it's not too difficult, and there are a lot of case studies/researchers' names to remember, but this is easier than for law.

I personally didn't find psychology or law 'hard', although someone might just as easily say they were really difficult. I understood the content that was being taught, the only hard aspect of it is the memorising the content, but I'm sure that's the case for most/all A levels.

If you want a better understanding of the subjects, then you could always read though the specifications to see the sort of topics you would be studying and whether or not it appeals to you.

Sorry I can't offer much insight in regards to english lit/lang, but I hope my reply will mean more people can see this and offer their help :smile:
Original post by amber3110
Hi, I'm about to go into Year 11 and am studying maths, english lit & lang, french, combined science, geography and psychology. In my Year 10 mocks I got a grade 9 (in psychology), grade 8 (english language), four grade 7s, a grade 6 and a grade 3 (in French, whoops). I am thinking of studying law, psychology and english lit for a level even though I am better at english language. I've read online however, that literature is far more respected. If anyone is doing these a- levels ( or one of them), please tell me if they are enjoyable or not. Also, how hard are they?
Thanks, Amber :smile:

In regards to English Lit/Lang, I did English Lit and finished my A levels last year; it definitely can be more respected. A lot of schools only offer Lit at A level rather than the option of either Lit or Lang. It’s quite a leap from GCSE to A level in regards to the subject matter. Do you know what exam board you’ll be on? Typically you’ll have a Shakespeare study, a genre (I studied Gothic), poetry etc. I would say you need to be quite interested personally in the topics discussed - much more opinion based than at GCSE
I've done A level psychology
It is a bit content heavy though it is relatively straight forward to revise to due how each topic can be condensed into a structured essay
I found it really interesting and I also liked how it had a balance between essays, science (biopsychology unit in particular for AQA) and basic maths (research methods)- I liked how this meant it was versatile and gave me more flexibility over my choice of university course
Some people in my class dropped out too soon as the course starts with the least interesting topic but then it gets more and more interesting
For AQA at least, questions range from 1 mark MCQs to 16 mark essays
Hope this gives a bit of insight and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have
Reply 4
Original post by Squiggles1238
Hello, I just completed my A level law and A level psychology courses. Personally I enjoyed them both. Law was enjoyable for me as it was interesting to look at our legal system and gain a more in-depth knowledge. If you're interested in it, I would definitely recommend it! There is a lot of case law, statutes to remember though, so make sure you're up for memorising a lot of case names!

Psychology was enjoyable for me as it was fascinating, especially for topics such as psychopathology. There is a little bit of maths involved, but at A level, it's not too difficult, and there are a lot of case studies/researchers' names to remember, but this is easier than for law.

I personally didn't find psychology or law 'hard', although someone might just as easily say they were really difficult. I understood the content that was being taught, the only hard aspect of it is the memorising the content, but I'm sure that's the case for most/all A levels.

If you want a better understanding of the subjects, then you could always read though the specifications to see the sort of topics you would be studying and whether or not it appeals to you.

Sorry I can't offer much insight in regards to english lit/lang, but I hope my reply will mean more people can see this and offer their help :smile:

Thanks for answering!

Quick Reply

Latest