Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by love2learn)
    1 - hard to explain but they kind of go further

2 - but with GS you can look at a league table, M&A fees, trading profit, research rankings, deal flow - the point is that there isn't this for McK so how can you actually say that they are at the top? (I'm not disputing this btw, I just think it's interesting because it's hard to actually prove).
    Subjective, I now. But in an industry where brand is everything, and if I was a CEO looking for a consultancy to work on a project, I know who I'd contact first.

If this sort of thing floats your boat.
    And this is how the table works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    Subjective, I now. But in an industry where brand is everything, and if I was a CEO looking for a consultancy to work on a project, I know who I'd contact first.

If this sort of thing floats your boat.
    And this is how the table works.
    The question why still remains because prestige is so intangible. I personally think it's because there's so much mystery surrounding these firms.

If you're a CEO, you know that it is unlikely that anyone will know that you're working with McKinsey, so why them, and not Bain and BCG?

Actually that question goes to Rboogie - why not the other two?

If anyone's interested, the McKinsey Quarterly is a fascinating read - can't recommend it highly enough, for literally everything.

ReputationRep:
    The question why still remains because prestige is so intangible. I personally think it's because there's so much mystery surrounding these firms.

If you're a CEO, you know that it is unlikely that anyone will know that you're working with McKinsey, so why them, and not Bain and BCG?

Actually that question goes to Rboogie - why not the other two?

If anyone's interested, the McKinsey Quarterly is a fascinating read - can't recommend it highly enough, for literally everything.
    You know what they say. If there is smoke there is fire. Perceptions, sentiments and hearsay play a huge role in McK being touted as the best- [insert Descartes quote with McK twist here]. So you can't really prove, or disprove, perceptions.

ReputationRep:
    Off topic: anyone got offers for the internship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityMonkey)
    Both of these posts are besides the point; the key question is not whether they get it right or wrong (which they do on both counts), but their 'prestige' is massively eroded away, atleast for me, when compared to some maverick who will make a bet on this view with his own cash and reputation. That's the difference between Steve Jobs (who incidentally holds all these consultancies in disdain, yet runs the most respected company, arguably, in the world) and Joe Bloggs, partner at McKinsey & Co. The claim to a consultant's "prestige" is just a big falsehood, as far as I'm concerned.
    I was giving an example, but you're right. Check out Guy Kawasaki's 'Art of the Start' speech on youtube, especially the part about the consultants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionis_antic)
    Off topic: anyone got offers for the internship?
    Well seeing as how they only offer internships to MBA students, it's highly unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    Well seeing as how they only offer internships to MBA students, it's highly unlikely.
    they also offer for undergraduates. friend of mine did, he was 1st year, though not from UK university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionis_antic)
    they also offer for undergraduates. friend of mine did, he was 1st year, though not from UK university.
    They have a Spring insight programme, but it's not an internship. I can say categorically that they do not offer an internship in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    But is it better than say BCG or Bain could produce?

I agree about the people - the depth and breadth that they're able to cover is fantastic, and they'll think of things that you wouldn't even have considered.
    No, I think both BCG and Bain do good work as well - depends on the focus area - You hire McK for some practice areas, and you hire Bain for other practice areas - just depends on your needs - but all are good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.