Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just need to know what degree would be better for a career in banking/accounting. I obviously would have a much better chance of getting an offer to do a maths degree then an economics one as it is less competitive. What jobs could be available to me if i done a maths degree or if i done an economics degree? thanks.

ReputationRep:
    lol well your first line answers your 2nd and 3rd line. But economics is way more interesting to learn, and i believe personally economics is more crediable to employers and economics covers alot of areas.

ReputationRep:
    People say maths is the best course to take if you want to be a banker.. apparently there's a shortage of potential bankers doing maths.
    A friend of mine is in his 3rd year doing Econ & econ history at LSE, and said a lot of his interviews for internships at banks were really mathematical and he didn't feel as though he did too well. Another friend of mine is in his 1st year at Imperial doing maths, solely because he wants to be a banker.
    So if you think you have a good chance of getting accepted for maths at a great uni, like Oxbridge or Imperial, then go for it! Or if you're interested in economics, why not apply for Maths & Economics?

ReputationRep:
    Which do you enjoy more? I recon thats the most important question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crash209)
    People say maths is the best course to take if you want to be a banker.. apparently there's a shortage of potential bankers doing maths.
    A friend of mine is in his 3rd year doing Econ & econ history at LSE, and said a lot of his interviews for internships at banks were really mathematical and he didn't feel as though he did too well. Another friend of mine is in his 1st year at Imperial doing maths, solely because he wants to be a banker.
    So if you think you have a good chance of getting accepted for maths at a great uni, like Oxbridge or Imperial, then go for it! Or if you're interested in economics, why not apply for Maths & Economics?
    I enjoy both, but i feel as though i have a much better chance of getting into a uni for a maths course then for an economics course. Is the maths & economics joint degree more competitive then a maths degree?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Come on. Is this a serious thread. You should know which one to take - the one your most interested in/best at. If you're intelligent, and get a good degree in either, than I'm sure you'll be able to get a good job in banking/accounting with economics or maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asiannumber1)
    I enjoy both, but i feel as though i have a much better chance of getting into a uni for a maths course then for an economics course. Is the maths & economics joint degree more competitive then a maths degree?
    umm straight economics is really really competitive, esp. at places like the LSE, but I've applied for it over any joint honours degrees because I found that not many places had identical joint courses, so it was easier to write a personal statement for five straight econ courses. someone else I know started off doing a maths&econ joint honours at leeds and then ended up switching to just the economics course cause she found that it was too much work, as though she was studying for 2 degrees as she had to do double the work. And another friend of mine started at LSE this year doing Maths and Statistics (or something like that) and his offer was AAB, whereas the vast majority of straight economics offers are AAA.. joint ones tend to be lower, but I don't think that makes them any less competitive to get into.. perhaps even the opposite as the often have fewer places available.

Do you do further maths? That's a must for maths at university. I only know of one person who didn't do f.maths and got into Kings last year because she got a 98% average at A Level maths. Also, further maths looks good on economics applications too as the course by nature is really mathsy.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking the same...I'd like to go into banking/finance and will most probably take a maths degree or maybe a joint maths and economics one....

ReputationRep:
    Tbh maths i reckon is better to get banking than economics. Just because of the shortage of people in the UK actually doing maths as a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Doing a maths degree because it's easier to get into is suicide. It is one of the toughest degrees to do and has that reputation for a reason! Entry requirements/competition do not relate to the difficulty of a degree.
    Similarly, avoiding Economics because it's tough to get into is a bit of a cop out. If that's what you want to do, grow some balls and go for it-- you'll regret it otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Doing a maths degree because it's easier to get into is suicide. It is one of the toughest degrees to do and has that reputation for a reason! Entry requirements/competition do not relate to the difficulty of a degree.
    Similarly, avoiding Economics because it's tough to get into is a bit of a cop out. If that's what you want to do, grow some balls and go for it-- you'll regret it otherwise.
    I think getting in for Maths at the top places are tougher than Econ, no? ...Not an an applace ratio, but in the sense of the STEP and all the 90's in C1-C4 offers that some unis are giving out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mos Def)
    I think getting in for Maths at the top places are tougher than Econ, no? ...Not an an applace ratio, but in the sense of the STEP and all the 90's in C1-C4 offers that some unis are giving out
    Maybe the offer can be harder to meet at the better universities, but still, you are much more likely to get an offer for Maths than Economics; not getting an offer at all leaves you nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the offer can be harder to meet at the better universities, but still, you are much more likely to get an offer for Maths than Economics; not getting an offer at all leaves you nowhere.
    True..

ReputationRep:
    True..
    How's IFRM going btw?

ReputationRep:
    How's IFRM going btw?
    Aww you remembered? lol

Nah...its going okay... its hard for me tbh, non econ/accounts background, but if i had done those 2 subjects at A-level like some of my 'colleagues' then it would've been alright. The mathematical content in the 1st year isn't as heavy as I had anticipated, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Aww you remembered? lol

Nah...its going okay... its hard for me tbh, non econ/accounts background, but if i had done those 2 subjects at A-level like some of my 'colleagues' then it would've been alright. The mathematical content in the 1st year isn't as heavy as I had anticipated, unfortunately.
    Yeah I remembered how you were pulling your hair out waiting for a decision (crying even!) :p: Also a degree name like that (which is as bad as mine) is pretty difficult to forget!
    How can less maths be unfortunate...? lol Dont worry, their overconfidence will be their downfall I love how lecturers say, "Oh you've probably met this before at A level" only to put a big twist on it and screw your understanding.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I remembered how you were pulling your hair out waiting for a decision (crying even!) :p: Also a degree name like that (which is as bad as mine) is pretty difficult to forget!
    How can less maths be unfortunate...? lol Dont worry, their overconfidence will be their downfall I love how lecturers say, "Oh you've probably met this before at A level" only to put a big twist on it and screw your understanding.
    loool, well MORSE rocks, hows that going? ...

ReputationRep:
    I just need to know what degree would be better for a career in banking/accounting. I obviously would have a much better chance of getting an offer to do a maths degree then an economics one as it is less competitive. What jobs could be available to me if i done a maths degree or if i done an economics degree? thanks.
    Why won't you major Accountancy instead or Finance?

ReputationRep:
    loool, well MORSE rocks, hows that going? ...
    It's good but a looot of work and a lot of exams/assessments. I'm glad I'm not doing a single subject though; variety is a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    did you do further maths at A level? and i would definately do MATHS
    there is a masive shortage of mathematicians in this country a degree in maths automatically puts you in huge demand from employers from financial sectors and so many other. Currently there is an approximated shortage of 125 000 mathmaticians and thats just for engineering and financial sector!, where as there is a surplus in people with economics degree. You are far more likely to get into a better uni for maths as well. I am also hoping to do maths at uni all this information i got fro my godfather who got is an engineer but part of his work for some reason requires him to know this sorta stuff dont ask me why. But if you really not up to it economics BSc is a good degree to have so you cant go too far wrong

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.