The Student Room Group

Can I get an Msc Physiotherapy degree after getting my Bsc Sport Science degree?

As the title says I will enter the BSc Applied Sport science degree at the Edinburgh University and my question is if it will be worth it as I want to be a physiotherapist. I'm planning of doing the MSc Physiotherapy postgraduate course at the Edinburgh Napier University but I don't know if it will be enough to get into the course and getting far into the career.
I can't get into the BSc Physiotherapy course as I don't have the grades to do so.
What would be the best pathway to get advanced into the job?
Original post by Jordan James
As the title says I will enter the BSc Applied Sport science degree at the Edinburgh University and my question is if it will be worth it as I want to be a physiotherapist. I'm planning of doing the MSc Physiotherapy postgraduate course at the Edinburgh Napier University but I don't know if it will be enough to get into the course and getting far into the career.
I can't get into the BSc Physiotherapy course as I don't have the grades to do so.
What would be the best pathway to get advanced into the job?

The first place I would look for answers would be the entry requirements of the degree course i.e.:
https://www.napier.ac.uk/courses/msc-physiotherapy-postgraduate-fulltime

I quote:
"Entry requirements
A Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) with honours at a minimum of 2.2 or above in a relevant science related subject. Examples of relevant subjects include sports rehabilitation, sports therapy, human biology, biomedical sciences, anatomy, physiology. Evidenced study in the area of human anatomy and physiology is required.

In addition to academic qualification, applicants must demonstrate a commitment to and knowledge of Physiotherapy as a career via their personal statement. Applicants should discuss their motivation for pursuing a career in Physiotherapy and relate this to the way in which their experiences (e.g. volunteering or shadowing a range of Physiotherapists) have informed their motivation to study Physiotherapy and their awareness of the scope of Physiotherapy practice.

Competition for places varies from year-to-year and achievement of the typical minimum entry requirements does not always guarantee shortlisting for interview or a place on the course.

Interview Requirements
There will be a selection interview and applicants to the programme should meet the HCPC requirement to be ‘fit to practice’ through having good health and good character.

Additional Information
Admission to the Programme is dependent upon a satisfactory Protecting Vulnerable Groups Scheme (PVG) Check. The cost of the PVG check will be paid by the University.

Successful applicants will be required to undergo an Occupational Health check and be immunised for a variety of conditions. Documented evidence of previous immunisations will be required, and students will be guided through this process by Edinburgh Napier University when entering the programme.

Successful applicants will required to become student members of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy on joining the programme."

If you managed to get at least a 2:2 in Applied Sports Science, you should be fine, since it should cover a good portion of human anatomy and physiology. If you are not sure, you might want to contact general admissions (unfortunately there does not seem to be a contact page for the administrator of the health and social care department):
https://www.napier.ac.uk/about-us/contact-us
Do note, you might need to send through your transcript of your degree so they can identify the modules that you have done and that you have covered the necessary content.

Should you be an upstanding citizen and you are of a sound mind, then the checks should be fine.

What I would be concerned about is what you will be putting in your personal statement. What have you done to demonstrate your commitment and enthusiasm for physiotherapy? If you don't have any relevant volunteering experience or long talks with a physiotherapist that you know of, then that might be your Archille's heel. I don't know the level of competition that you may be facing for the course, so it might help your application to do some volunteering before applying.
I studied BSc Psychology and then did BSc Physiotherapy after

Quick Reply

Latest