Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My 13 yr old son came home from school today with a form about getting a job. He was very keen. What age did you start working? What did you do? Where? We asked in our local Blockbuster but you need to be 18, and in Tesco express by us, and the manager isn't there but apparently there min age is 15.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    You can't get a job until you're sixteen, anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    paper round....

ReputationRep:
    A paperound is probably the best that he could get if he's under 16.

ReputationRep:
    The only job he can get at such a young age would be Paperboy, I think. And a damn good job it is, especially with Christmas around the corner!

I used to get paid £13 a week, and a free sweet/snack once I've finished my shift everyday and a big treat on Sunday afternoons, such as a box of Roses. During Christmas, the occupants of the homes I was delivering papers to would often leave me a card with a small tip inside it

I was lucky my dad bought me a bike, otherwise it would have been a tough job. It was just an hour of fun riding around, and £13 a week was a lot of money at the time.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: i think the most he'll be able to do is paper round/leaflet distributing tbf

most places ask for 16+ (when u get NI number) or 18, depending on the nature of the job.

i got my first job at 18, gor my gap year... but my sister got her's at cancer research charity shop at 15

ReputationRep:
    It's a lot of hassle to find a job for a thirteen year old that isn't a paper round.

ReputationRep:
    gonna agree with everyone else and say paper round. if he's lucky a café might hire him.

ReputationRep:
    You could try small, local shops.
    I worked in a local shop at 14.
    But remember at that age there is no minimum wage.

x

(Original post by serrellen)
    You can't get a job until you're sixteen, anywhere.
    Yeah, you can.
    In holiday towns (like where I live - Tenby), you can get jobs at the age of 11. Like, waitressing 'n' stuff.

I've had a job since I was 12.

ReputationRep:
    What was the form? He may have trouble getting a normal shop job. There's just so much competition nowadays and he's obviously at a disadvantage.

Perhaps get him to look at dog-walking, delivering leaflets/papers, washing people's cars, babysitting (not only for girls!), getting involved in youth sports clubs, looking after people's gardens... I dunno really. What's he like?

ReputationRep:
    Try local family-owned businesses (Butchers, grocers etc).

I had a job part-time in a butchers (pretty gruesome, wouldn't recommend it) worked Saturday 9-4 and got £40...not bad for 7 hours work!

ReputationRep:
    I did a paper round but it was one of those free local papers that come once a week.

We'd get the bundle of papers delivered with a stack of leaflets, my mum and I used to sit in the lounge putting the leaflets in the papers and then she'd walk round with me to the houses on my route.

I can't remember exactly what I got paid but I got extra money for the number of leaflets I had to put in. The lady was really pushy though when I wanted to quit, I gave enough notice but she just wanted me to do 'just another couple of weeks'. We had to just be firm in the end and say no.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, there's hardly any jobs around for the over 16s at the moment, so even without the legal constraints, I doubt your son could find anything.

In the past, however, I have heard of under 16s finding work at horse riding stables, small florists, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I had my first job at 11, unloading crates of lobsters and crabs from the fishing boats. I think I got paid like £3.50 an hour, then during the summer that year I got a seccond job in a cafe waitressing and pot washing.
    It's possible, get him to ask in little cafes or corner shops. Most little shops love to have underage kids working for them... they don't have to pay them as much.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered getting your son into modelling/working as an extra? I did this throughout my childhood until the age of 16, and made a fair bit of money; my brother did it until recently (he's 14 now), and my sister's still involved in modelling now (at 12).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her0n)
    I did a paper round but it was one of those free local papers that come once a week.

We'd get the bundle of papers delivered with a stack of leaflets, my mum and I used to sit in the lounge putting the leaflets in the papers and then she'd walk round with me to the houses on my route.

I can't remember exactly what I got paid but I got extra money for the number of leaflets I had to put in. The lady was really pushy though when I wanted to quit, I gave enough notice but she just wanted me to do 'just another couple of weeks'. We had to just be firm in the end and say no.
    Haha, I did that for two days. My route was up a hill with all these big houses with long drives. On the second day I chucked the papers in the bin and quit.

ReputationRep:
    No national insurance card = No job

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest possibly working as a washer-upper. The hours are usually quite nice, and the people friendly enough.
    Do any of your family friends own buisnesses? Or do you have a favourite restaurant you could ask in?
    Regards, Jess

ReputationRep:
    Well i got my job whe I was 15 as a gym coach.
    But I had been doing gym there for 12 years so the place was kind of just put on a plate for me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.