Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I always used to have consoles - i was a Nintendo freak! However lately and since going to university i don't play consoles anymore.

However for christmas i might get one and i am torn between the xbox360 (for fable 2 and ninja gaiden) or the wii (for zelda).

My friend said that the xbox 360s have so many problems with them it's almost unbelievable and that around 1 in 3 that leave microsoft are bugged or go red circle...

Is it going to be a waste of my money?

Someone help me!?

ReputationRep:
    Not true. It used to be a big problem but the newer models don't have as high a failure rate. You also get 1 years warranty, and an extra two years against the "red ring of death"

I've had a Wii and a 360 and I would strongly advise against the Wii whatever you decide. You'll love it for the first few months but the novelty wears off and the motion sensing isn't really up to scratch imo.

ReputationRep:
    Buying a Wii would be a waste of money due to getting bored with it.

ReputationRep:
    I've had both, i'm so glad i swapped my wii for an xbox!
    the novelty of the wii wears off after a while..
    Xbox's do have this problem with red ring, but they have alot of ways of solving it,they usually repair them for free if it does happen
    Plus..

fable 2's awesome.

ReputationRep:
    you say you are a nintendo freak? then surely you had a gamecube and you can get twilight princess for it without having to get a wii? or are you talking about future zeldas...

anyway reliability isn't as bad as it was and customer service is good.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say 360's are reliable. Mine's broken twice now, and has just been sent off to MS for repair again. But when they work, they are very good consoles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtired)
    you know why they call it an xbox 360? because it's so crap when you see it you turn around 360 degrees and walk away.
    You'd have to turn 180 degrees for that to be applicable, otherwise you'd be walking in the same direction still.

Ultimately it really comes down to the exclusives of the console, and considering i'm not a massive fan of the 360s exclusives (such as Gears or Halo etcetera) i chose the Wii, for unique IPs such as No More Heroes, and Nintendo staples like Mario and Zelda...

Each to there own, but the Wii has a fantastic roster of games coming out early next year, and with WiiMotion+ coming as well it's an exciting time to be a Wii owner

ReputationRep:
    you know why they call it an xbox 360? because it's so crap when you see it you turn around 360 degrees and walk away.
    Only an idiot would turn around 360 degrees before walking away.

ReputationRep:
    :jester: So you do a fairy twirl and then walk in the same direction you were facing straight into the Xbox. Nice :p:

OP, get an Xbox, as others have said, the novelty of having a Nintendo Wii wears off after a while and the funness just sort of seems to die out. Plus, I find that loads of people at uni have Wiis, so you can just play with theirs, whilst keeping your Xbox locked away in your room, safe and sound

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronaldo VII)
    Buying a Wii would be a waste of money due to getting bored with it.
    I have to agree with this man here.. :yep:

Get a 360, if the choices are between that & a Wii.

Wii is a gimmick that lasts as long as ice on the fire.

Besides, if the 360 does go wrong, you get 3 years warranty (if you buy it new), and they fix it for you for free.

ReputationRep:
    Copy/paste from an earlier thread:

I've had a Wii since launch, and just recently got a 360. Though I'm usually a Nintendo fan, in all honesty I'd probably have to recommend the 360 overall. The Wii has some absolutely superb games - Zelda, Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 are, in my opinion, just about the best games on any current system, and Smash Brothers and Mario Kart are also excellent; however, beyond these, I'd say the calibre of most of the rest of the games tails off dramatically. While none of the 360 games I've played quite measure up to the Wii's big three, there are a huge amount of excellent games for the 360, and many more on the horizon. I can't really see anything in the Wii's release schedule that excites me right now (Except for Wii Zelda, but no-one has any idea when that's coming ).

However, as a sole console, I'd go for the 360 or Wii over the PS3, as they both offer great backwards-compatibility as well as current games, dramatically expanding the selection of games available.

In summary: 360 > Wii > PS3

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.