The Student Room Group

College applications - aged 21+

I am considering applying to the BA in Theology and Religion as a mature student next year.

My preference is to go to Harris Manchester but I am a little confused about how college applications work for those 21+ (Or really in general!)

a) If I put down HMC and was lucky enough to get an interview would I only be interviewed by HMC or would I also be interviewed by a second college?

b) Does everyone that gets an interview get interviewed by their college of preference (regardless of age) and a second college?

c) I also think Trinity is beautiful: if I put Trinity down as my college of preference would I also automatically be considered by HMC due to my age?

Thanks in advance xx
a) How many colleges you are interviewed by depends on the subject you apply for - for some, everyone's interviewed by at least two colleges.

b) again this is subject dependent but no, you may not be interviewed by your chosen college at all if your subject equalises the applications before interview, in that case you may be reassigned to a completely different college. Nothing to do with age except that obviously an under 21 couldn't be reassigned to Harris Manchester.

c) No, not except as it applies to you in a) and b).

Basically college applications are the same at Oxford for over 21s as they are for everyone else, except that you have extra options.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Oxfordbound
I am considering applying to the BA in Theology and Religion as a mature student next year.

My preference is to go to Harris Manchester but I am a little confused about how college applications work for those 21+ (Or really in general!)

a) If I put down HMC and was lucky enough to get an interview would I only be interviewed by HMC or would I also be interviewed by a second college?

b) Does everyone that gets an interview get interviewed by their college of preference (regardless of age) and a second college?

c) I also think Trinity is beautiful: if I put Trinity down as my college of preference would I also automatically be considered by HMC due to my age?

Thanks in advance xx

Have you read https://www.theology.ox.ac.uk/undergraduate-faqs - it answers a) and b).

For c), you wouldn't automatically be considered by HMC as a second college per se. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case in practice simply because HMC's age restriction rules out many candidates.

Quick Reply

Latest