Film Studies
    Chemistry
    Psychology

Thanks In Advance

:cheers:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Do you have any idea what kind of degree/job you want to do after school?

ReputationRep:
    Maths and Chemistry are the most academically renowned. Film studies - definate no!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd do Maths, and then either Biology or Chemistry. To widen your options Maths and Chemistry would probably be your best bet.

ReputationRep:
    i would recommend you to do mahts... and not to do film studies...!

ReputationRep:
    My best friend did English Lit and History last year, as well as Biology and Psychology (though she's dropped Biology now)
    Depends what you're thinking of doing at uni, but I'd personally only choose Film Studies from that list for the pure fact that maths and the sciences don't interest me at all xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Do you have any idea what kind of degree/job you want to do after school?

Wanna Teach English And History/Primary School

I'd recommend maths if you got an A at GCSE.

For the other one... the most 'respected' would be biology or chemistry, particularly chemistry. However, you'll have three very esteemed subjects in maths, english lit and history. So if you'd enjoy philosophy or sociology or psychology much more than a science, go for it. I'd probably steer clear of Film Studies, but aside from that, go for what you enjoy for your fourth if you're doing three high quality, academic subjects.

As I understand it, you'll need an undergraduate degree and then a vocational teaching degree to do that. Any idea of what you'd like to do at undergrad at university? Philosophy is regarded as a strong subject and it'll fit well if you were to do a history or an english degree.

ReputationRep:
    Maths, English Lit, History & Philosophy/Chemistry would be a nice combination. Almost exactly the same as what I'm doing now, in fact . Any reason for ruling out other subjects, such as Economics & Physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeachesX)
    After Having An Opportunities Day

Im Still Undecided

I Definately Want To Do English Lit And History

Which 2/3 Would Be Best To Do Out Of These:

Philosophy
    Maths
    Biology
    Sociology
    Film Studies
    Chemistry
    Psychology

Thanks In Advance

Okay here goes, I've ranked the subjects In order of what you should do
    Maths -1
    Biology and/or Chemistry -2/3
    Philosophy - 4
    Psychology 5

Sociology -6
    Film Studies - 7

I recommend maths first simply because It allows you to access MANY universities courses that would have been otherwise unavailable.

A science is good for a good breadth for subjects and if you decide to change your mind on courses at uni.
    I do not recommend Film studies at all unless you are taking it as an after school activity - it won't help you progress unless you want to go to film school or do an art related degree.

ReputationRep:
    chemistry is very difficult at AS but if you work hard you can do it. It's particularly hard if you aren't strong at maths. I am doing biology,chemistry,english lit and history and am enjoying it but the work load is a bit of a shock!!!!

ReputationRep:
    At primary schools you don't normally teach specific subjects, you'd have to teach english, maths and science and then bits of everything else.
    Any of the other subjects would be fine, I'd recommend waiting a little while to see how your GCSEs progress - maybe until after your mocks?
    Then you'll see what subjects you don't mind doing the work for the least..
    I didn't decide on my final subject until results day because I wasn't sure what I was going to get so you could wait and see

if you're interested in film studies and you think you could get a good grade in it don't worry about taking it!
    As you seem to be more interested in studying arts/humanities I would be inclined to stay clear of the sciences - you don't need them.

Anyway, in amongst all this higgledy piggledy advice, I would like to say most of all take what you enjoy the most. Otherwise, you won't want to do the work and you might not do as well.

ReputationRep:
    Maths and Chemistry, definitely. They're respected and the combination gives you a wider variety of degrees to choose from.
    Then, either Biology, Philosophy or Psychology.
    Since you're probably going into the arts subjects at university, I'd go for Philosophy or Psychology. Maybe even Sociology.

ReputationRep:
    I would do sociology, although I love sociology.

ReputationRep:
    Maths and Chemistry. Definatly Maths at least as it is useful for a lot of degree's and keeps your options open. Chemistry is a hard subject and well respected that can lead into a lot of things.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by PeachesX)
    Wanna Teach English And History/Primary School

Philosophy goes well with both of those and Maths always looks good. Which of those subjects are you best at/like the most?

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, DO NOT take Film Studies. Universities hate it as I found out a little while into my AS Media Studies Course. Pick more respected subjects! If you are good at essays then pick subjects that involve lots of writing. Otherwise, stick to maths and science-based A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stricof)
    Okay here goes, I've ranked the subjects In order of what you should do
    Maths -1
    Biology and/or Chemistry -2/3
    Philosophy - 4
    Psychology 5

Sociology -6
    Film Studies - 7

I recommend maths first simply because It allows you to access MANY universities courses that would have been otherwise unavailable.

A science is good for a good breadth for subjects and if you decide to change your mind on courses at uni.
    I do not recommend Film studies at all unless you are taking it as an after school activity - it won't help you progress unless you want to go to film school or do an art related degree.
    Completely agree.

ReputationRep:
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Philosophy

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.