Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd do English, History, Philosophy and Maths.

Philosophy: If you don't like to know the answer to anything
    Maths: if you like to know the answer to everything

It's actually a good mix. :P

About 75% of my philosophy class takes maths, as well!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd take philosophy and psychology, but that's just because they're two I'm seriously considering (as well as English and History). Overall, I'd say take what you'll enjoy, no point in slogging through a subject for two years that you hate!

ReputationRep:
    Can i make a note here that thread members should be giving advice on the most appropriate subjects that would fit the best chances of a good 'well rounded' application to university or higher education. The OP has chosen her favourite subjects already so it does not matter talking about which subject you like. Therefore you conclude the best subjects to fit the criteria if the OP like them all!
    Personal choices are not thiers and should therefore be kept to our own. It's not good saying you like a subject because has little effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stricof)
    Can i make a note here that thread members should be giving advice on the most appropriate subjects that would fit the best chances of a good 'well rounded' application to university or higher education. The OP has chosen her favourite subjects already so it does not matter talking about which subject you like. Therefore you conclude the best subjects to fit the criteria if the OP like them all!
    Yes, but what I was thinking is surely out of the few they listed, there must be ones that THEY prefer. That was all, and I listed my personal choice as this is a discussion? Not a Q&A section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkletasia)
    Yes, but what I was thinking is surely out of the few they listed, there must be ones that THEY prefer. That was all, and I listed my personal choice as this is a discussion? Not a Q&A section.
    yes you are right!
    This is a discussion not a Q&A section

but the OP is asking
    Which 2/3 Would Be Best To Do Out Of These
    This does not require what you would 'personally' go for; although there is nothing to stop you from saying what you are doing.
    This is not an attack on you my dear, it's a note and suggestion to what the thread members should be doing to guide the OP properly into the right decision; but what do we define as correct? - by weighing out the subjects, scrutinising them and eventually coming to a conclusion about what subjects the OP could take.
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    I'd do English, History, Philosophy and Maths.

Philosophy: If you don't like to know the answer to anything
    Maths: if you like to know the answer to everything

It's actually a good mix. :P

About 75% of my philosophy class takes maths, as well!
    SiaSia
    Sia has demonstrated what i am talking about - A good response. Saying what subjects she takes, weighing up the two adversarial/consensual subjects (in this case maths and philosophy) and evaluating them from personal experience. This is what we should aim for.
    Once again, don't take it personally - it's a note to everyone to stay on track

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stricof)
    yes you are right!
    This is a discussion not a Q&A section

but the OP is asking This does not require what you would 'personally' go for; although there is nothing to stop you from saying what you are doing.
    This is not an attack on you my dear, it's a note and suggestion to what the thread members should be doing to guide the OP properly into the right decision; but what do we define as correct? - by weighing out the subjects, scrutinising them and eventually coming to a conclusion about what subjects the OP could take.

SiaSia
    Sia has demonstrated what i am talking about - A good response. Saying what subjects she takes, weighing up the two adversarial/consensual subjects (in this case maths and philosophy) and evaluating them from personal experience. This is what we should aim for.
    Once again, don't take it personally - it's a note to everyone to stay on track
    God, yeah. I'm sorry, I see what you're saying. I was full of cold and snapping at everyone! I am still full of cold, but in a better mood. Sorry about that!

Going with those ideas, I would say take maths if your able enough to continue on to A level, it's most likely to always be handy. Then also philosophy as it has the wordiness (is that a word?) of English and History, but works well with Maths too.

However, I stick with my original point, pick the ones you're going to enjoy the most, whether that's enjoying the challenge posed or the matter studied. There is no point in doing something you don't particularly like in anyway, but makes a 'traditional' or 'obvious' choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkletasia)
    God, yeah. I'm sorry, I see what you're saying. I was full of cold and snapping at everyone! I am still full of cold, but in a better mood. Sorry about that!

Going with those ideas, I would say take maths if your able enough to continue on to A level, it's most likely to always be handy. Then also philosophy as it has the wordiness (is that a word?) of English and History, but works well with Maths too.

However, I stick with my original point, pick the ones you're going to enjoy the most, whether that's enjoying the challenge posed or the matter studied. There is no point in doing something you don't particularly like in anyway, but makes a 'traditional' or 'obvious' choice.
    Haha, no problem! Your ideas are never invalid around here as long as they are in context :yep:

ReputationRep:
    maths, chemistry and biology. most respected a levels.

ReputationRep:
    So teaching in primary - maths deffo as it's part of it! You don't get a choice at primary! And psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    So teaching in primary - maths deffo as it's part of it! You don't get a choice at primary! And psychology.
    But to be fair my Mum taught primary school years and she didn't even have maths GCSE until she was 39.
    She did English, History and Biology at A level though, but she didn't do very well.

I still say take what you enjoy the most though, no point slogging away at something you're not going to enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeachesX)
    After Having An Opportunities Day

Im Still Undecided

I Definately Want To Do English Lit And History

Which 2/3 Would Be Best To Do Out Of These:

Philosophy
    Maths
    Biology
    Sociology
    Film Studies
    Chemistry
    Psychology

Thanks In Advance

:cheers:

totally depends on what career options you want ...
    but if I were you, out of those choices I would choose biology and psychology ... but if you're good at maths take maths becasue its a respected subjected

I hope that helped a bit

ReputationRep:
    Id say the best courses to have would be Chemistry, Maths and Biology (in that order). If you have those, it looks very very impressive, no matter what course you apply for

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of doing maths economics business and german at a.s are these good a level choices

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annab1684)
    But to be fair my Mum taught primary school years and she didn't even have maths GCSE until she was 39.
    She did English, History and Biology at A level though, but she didn't do very well.

I still say take what you enjoy the most though, no point slogging away at something you're not going to enjoy.
    My mum still doesn't lol. She's a PA. But they check now with these new people. I was looking at various havering schools and they want the classic 5-A*-C and C in English and Maths.

Corr it must've been hard learning maths GCSE when you're an adult. Kudos to her

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.