The Student Room Group

Chemsitry in biochemistry module

Hey,
In a Biomedical science degree there's a Biochem module, what type of chemistry ( i.e AS level organic chem) is involved in this module ? (I don't have Chemistry A Level)
Original post by Random134
Hey,
In a Biomedical science degree there's a Biochem module, what type of chemistry ( i.e AS level organic chem) is involved in this module ? (I don't have Chemistry A Level)

Hey @Random134

I study biochemistry (and do some pure chemistry modules) so my opinion on what "a lot" of chemistry may be different but I doubt there will be too much chemistry and they will make sure they teach you it if anything does come up. Biochemistry modules tend to focus on metabolic pathways in cells, so while there will be chemical processes mentioned I doubt it'll be terribly complicated, and if you do find yourself struggling there will definitely be additional information in textbooks which will help. In my first lecture at university they literally started by defining an element (the same definition as at GCSE)! They don't usually throw you straight in at the deep end, they build up to new stuff after a quick recap of the basics.

I hope I could help!
Rebecca :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey @Random134

I study biochemistry (and do some pure chemistry modules) so my opinion on what "a lot" of chemistry may be different but I doubt there will be too much chemistry and they will make sure they teach you it if anything does come up. Biochemistry modules tend to focus on metabolic pathways in cells, so while there will be chemical processes mentioned I doubt it'll be terribly complicated, and if you do find yourself struggling there will definitely be additional information in textbooks which will help. In my first lecture at university they literally started by defining an element (the same definition as at GCSE)! They don't usually throw you straight in at the deep end, they build up to new stuff after a quick recap of the basics.

I hope I could help!
Rebecca :smile:

Thank you so much for replying this was very helpful:smile:
In terms of the chemical processes I have heard this includes elements of organic chemistry from as level is this true?
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending