Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    3-4 days ago I sent an email to Google, politely asking them to move The Student Room to first place when you search for 'TSR' (used to come up with a car tuning website as first result and 2nd was TSR), they listened to my request and changed TSR to first spot, adding a fancy search box and all.

3 yay's for TSR! lol

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=tsr

ReputationRep:
    Erm... I thought you had to pay Google for that.

Oh, and I would have thought it would only be people who know about / are users of tsr who use the phrase 'tsr', thus don't have to search for it.

Compared to someone who would be more likely to search 'student forum'. Which incidentally brings up the student room first.

So that's a happy ending an all but I was just questioning things as usual.

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool

Liking the searchbox.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... I don't think that they set that up purely because you sent an email.

ReputationRep:
    AHAHHA at second result.
    "TSR Performance
    'TSR Performance, your one stop shop for VAG group tuning'"

They said vag. Har. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    does it actually make much of a difference.......

ReputationRep:
    ooh really? lol u were that bothered... :rolleyes:

but yea i always google 'tsr' rather than saving it as favourites for some reason, and noticed it had bumped up to the top, where there used to be stuff about VAG tuning(:p: reminds me of the reventon(sp?) joke jeremy clarkson made - harrh), ultimate sims resource and tropical storm something :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenFah)
    AHAHHA at second result.
    "TSR Performance

Is that H&R they're talking about?

If you know The Student Room as TSR you should probably bookmark it. Pretty cool though.

ReputationRep:
    He is right though, it did used to be second...

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that because more people who search 'tsr' choose 'The Student Room' as opposed to the other choices?
    It was definitely first a couple of times before.
    But, that's only a thought.

ReputationRep:
    WOW, that's amazing

Spoiler:
    Show
    Only joking, that's crap. You fail

ReputationRep:
    It has always been first result for me... I once did a test with some friends and well all searched for something on different computers in different locations of the UK and it came in at a different result place each time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    Hmmm... I don't think that they set that up purely because you sent an email.
    Perhaps not , But I did send them an elaborate essay like email in their feed back form explaining exactly why TSR should be on top, and why the current result should not be on top (since it was a poorly designed auto tuning site which doesnt seem like it attracts many users, whereas TSR is used by like 250-400 students a day for academical and social advice)

(Original post by 73337)
    If you know The Student Room as TSR you should probably bookmark it. Pretty cool though.
    The truth is: Im ashamed of having TSR in my bookmarks, what if my friends find out :/ I always used to quickly type tsr in my firefox Google search box, and got annoyed by the fact I had to press 2nd link, so I finally contacted Google.

Edit: Typo's

Fail.

ReputationRep:
    Have people not seen the search bar thing before, it does it for youtube as well and has been there for the student room for ages!

Tis pretty cool that tsr is first now though :P

ReputationRep:
    Google sort sites using an algorithm called PageRank. They don't manually change it based on random emails, otherwise some pretty big companies might get pretty pissed off. The search thing appears on sites when lots of pages happen to have been indexed.

The only way you would have had any impact is if they decided the other result had no real content or had been cheating with incoming links, and decided to de-index it or give it a major PageRank hit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenFah)
    AHAHHA at second result.
    "TSR Performance

LOL, that sounded cute when i read it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurningSnowman)
    Google sort sites using an algorithm called PageRank. They don't manually change it based on random emails, otherwise some pretty big companies might get pretty pissed off. The search thing appears on sites when lots of pages happen to have been indexed.

The only way you would have had any impact is if they decided the other result had no real content or had been cheating with incoming links, and decided to de-index it or give it a major PageRank hit.
    Hmm you're probably right, could've been an coincidence I guess. Ah well!

ReputationRep:
    LOL. Sorry, but there is no way Google did it "as a favour" or in response to your message. It was a coincidence.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.