Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Basically, we are starting HOD Coursework, AS English Lit AQA, next Thursday, yet we've only just scratched the surface of the book really.
    Although I have drawn up a plan which means I will have totally analysed the book by the end of November, this may be too late.

Any pointers, as it's a relatively detailed and hard book, and I've asked the teacher but he seems convinced there is no problem whatsoever and it will be really easy - I think not. In fact, he seems more interested in concerts than the work at hand.

Also, would it be worth getting notes on the book (such as the York Notes brand etc)? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    lol!! How strange, Heart of Darkness was my first test when I got to Cambridge, we had to analyse a few bits without even knowing what it was/ who wrote it, which was not nice...
    But yeah York notes are really good and I believe HOD is on sparksnotes.com? don't copy anything though just use it for general themes. Bascially the key thing here is colonialism, divided attitudes to it - disgust/pride. Consider the style, is this narrator reliable, do we believe everything he says? There loooads of good descriptions for you to tackle, ie when the black natives are on the side of the river and the guy is in a boat and he describes them as almost subhuman. Also darkness, obviously a key thing, some kind of metaphor for evil..blindness... etc. Look up Conrad on the net, what were his views/beliefs/experiences of this issue? What would the readers have thought at the time? Would his work be considered shocking?- try to place it in context of the late 1800's. Consider the first chapter, theres some prophetic imagery there, its all sinster and dark, does that prepare us for the main action (it does lol)? How does this theme of darkness, this "brooding gloom" i think he says, how is this present in the text as a whole?
    Don't worry its not too difficult once you get the main ideas, and its only short!
    Good luck

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.