Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Student getting on my Nerves!! watch

Please keep anon, people know me on here.

University as been going great, love my course, people and lecturers, but there is this one girl that is out to get me.

She seemed like a nice girl at first and we was getting a long great,until 3 weeks ago. We have just started having disagreements all of the time and its really pissing me off.

Its stupid stuff like opinions on this and that, today it was whether Gareth gates was good or not, how pathetic does that sound. when someone disagrees with me its my natural instinct to prove a point, and that's where it gets a lot worse.

I catch the bus with her and another friend at the end of every lecture, and its proving difficult each time I'm around her to like her. I like to get on with everyone in my class, as they do with me, but this girl is the only one that argues with me.

I have even had a word on the side about this but she just challenges me on what I say, all the time. It's got to the point now where I feel I cannot have a decent conversation without her saying something to annoy me or challenge me. any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    just dont get into petty arguments with her, when her views are contrary to yours dont get deffensive, just accept it. Its quite childish actually.

ReputationRep:
    Stop being wrong all the time.

Hey don't you think i know its childish, i just can't understand why she does it?

ReputationRep:
    it takes two to argue if she contradicts you just say fair enough and move on

ReputationRep:
    I have this all the time with someone I know, just distance yourself from her until she grows out of it - she will.
    But be careful, because it could be you who's starting it...

(Original post by A-Man!)
    I have this all the time with someone I know, just distance yourself from her until she grows out of it - she will.
    But be careful, because it could be you who's starting it...
    I have actually questioned myself on this, and wouldn't it apply to other people also? I mean, I get along with everyone in my class, she is the only one.

I think distancing is the best solution to be honest, but i do not like to dislike anyone, that's just not me.

ReputationRep:
    just try to ignore it and if a conversation gets really tiresome just say she's right
    tbh if she thinks you're always wrong then oh well, at least you're not stressed out with her argumentative perfectionism

ReputationRep:
    Avoid her for a while...it could also be a case of too much time spent together. People who I see too much tend to get on my nerves afetr a while, and distancing myself from them for a while usually works.

(Original post by running_with_scissors)
    Avoid her for a while...it could also be a case of too much time spent together. People who I see too much tend to get on my nerves afetr a while, and distancing myself from them for a while usually works.
    I think that's more the logical choice to be honest, yeah, distancing myself for a will do.

thanks guys

Is it possible she may like me? just a guess, I am male.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anon, people know me on here.

University as been going great, love my course, people and lecturers, but there is this one girl that is out to get me.

She seemed like a nice girl at first and we was getting a long great,until 3 weeks ago. We have just started having disagreements all of the time and its really pissing me off.

Its stupid stuff like opinions on this and that, today it was whether Gareth gates was good or not, how pathetic does that sound. when someone disagrees with me its my natural instinct to prove a point, and that's where it gets a lot worse.

I catch the bus with her and another friend at the end of every lecture, and its proving difficult each time I'm around her to like her. I like to get on with everyone in my class, as they do with me, but this girl is the only one that argues with me.

I have even had a word on the side about this but she just challenges me on what I say, all the time. It's got to the point now where I feel I cannot have a decent conversation without her saying something to annoy me or challenge me. any ideas?
    OMG I know what you mean. I'm in third year now and I still have that friend who always tries to compete with me. You need to ditch her and NOW. Don't let her destroy your uni experience.

The thing is it may seem like she's your friend and she probably is, but someone who is a competitor does not make a good friend. It's pure jealousy, and trust me its not what you need. Hang out with her in lectures, but seriously try to distance yourself even if she stops annoying you for a while.

ReputationRep:
    No problem - people tend to go to stage where they feel they must win every argument and be the best at everything.
    It sounds like you're not in the wrong, so just distance, and agree with everything she says if it gets tiresome, as someone said.

(Original post by Shake 'n Bake)
    OMG I know what you mean. I'm in third year now and I still have that friend who always tries to compete with me. You need to ditch her and NOW. Don't let her destroy your uni experience.
    Gees, is everything ok now?

ReputationRep:
    When you go home, think of topics to talk about on the bus. And then, think of disagreements that she will (probably) make and then practise some bad-ass comebacks so that she's shown up in front of her friends.

...Or you could just avoid her for a little while...

ReputationRep:
    Simple way to work out who's in the wrong is by referring to your argument with her over Gareth Gates.

If you argued FOR Gareth Gates:

Spoiler:
    Show
    You're obviously in the wrong and the one starting ALL the arguments and should perhaps also be shot, but don't quote me on the last bit.

If you argued AGAINST Gareth Gates:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Then she is in the wrong and a highly irritable person who you would do well to try and not argue with too much. In fact, whenever she says anything expecting you to disagree, just reply with "I couldn't agree more" or "That's so true" or "I think you're right" and smile and see how much that irks her and causes her to realise she's being really immature!

^ Plan guaranteed to succeed :yes:

(Original post by Ascient)
    Simple way to work out who's in the wrong is by referring to your argument with her over Gareth Gates.

If you argued FOR Gareth Gates:

Spoiler:
    Show
    You're obviously in the wrong and the one starting ALL the arguments and should perhaps also be shot, but don't quote me on the last bit.

If you argued AGAINST Gareth Gates:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Then she is in the wrong and a highly irritable person who you would do well to try and not argue with too much. In fact, whenever she says anything expecting you to disagree, just reply with "I couldn't agree more" or "That's so true" or "I think you're right" and smile and see how much that irks her and causes her to realise she's being really immature!

^ Plan guaranteed to succeed :yes:

thanks for the plan but come one, its a pathetic argument that is irrelevant, the distance thing might be the cure.

Maybe she likes me :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Gees, is everything ok now?
    Lol in a word no! I'm kind of her firend, kind of not. So it feels like I'm starting all over again which is both good and bad.

I was like you. I questioned whether I was the one who started the arguments and spent alot of time being her friend when I could've made new/better friends. I'm doing that now (thank god) but I've wasted a year and a half and uni is stressful enough as it is.

Someone like that is very insecure and don't let her project that onto you.

ReputationRep:
    Lol in a word no! I'm kind of her firend, kind of not. So it feels like I'm starting all over again which is both good and bad.

I was like you. I questioned whether I was the one who started the arguments and spent alot of time being her friend when I could've made new/better friends. I'm doing that now (thank god) but I've wasted a year and a half and uni is stressful enough as it is.

Thanks, I think that sums it up pretty well for the whole situation.

I shouldn't say this but your experiences could prove invaluable for me LOL.

I have her MSN would it be recommended to block her for a while?

Thanks, I think that sums it up pretty well for the whole situation.

I shouldn't say this but your experiences could prove invaluable for me LOL.

I have her MSN would it be recommended to block her for a while?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.