The Student Room Group

Medical school without Chemistry GCSE

So i have decided I want to do medicine.
Im studying GCSE right now and have not taken chemistry or physics. However I am studying biology and psychology . I plan to take chemistry for my A levels.
So would it be acceptable for med schools if you have taken only one science in GCSE and do chemistry during A levels?
(edited 1 year ago)
You have greatly reduced your options by not studying 3 sciences or double science at GCSE.

Also, it’s a bit silly to take A-level in chemistry - but not even completed the GCSE’s. Surely this isn’t even a thing. You’d need a grade 6 at GCSE or above in order to enrol onto the A-level course for certain institutions.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by eva_02
Im studying GCSE right now and have not taken chemistry or physics. However I am studying biology and psychology . I plan to take chemistry for my A levels.
So would it be acceptable for med schools if you have taken only one science in GCSE and do chemistry during A levels?

From what im getting you have not still done your IGCSE marks, so i believe there is still time for you to take chemistry and physics.

I'm also applying for medicine and from what i know is that it is nearly impossible to get into a medical university with just one science in Europe. But you can take biology and chemistry only in Alevels and get in easily to a uni in eastern European countries. But if your applying to the UK most colleges require you to take all sciences or take bio and physics.
So in conclusion play safe and try to take minimum of 2 sciences if you plan on taking medicine...
Reply 3
so if i change my subject and take chemistry in my year would that be acceptable?
as far as i know most universities dont have a GCSE requirement. and in my school i heard it is possible to take chemistry in A levels even if its not taken in GCSE

Original post by CaptainDuckie
You have greatly reduced your options by not studying 3 sciences or double science at GCSE.

Also, it’s a bit silly to take A-level in chemistry - but not even completed the GCSE’s. Surely this isn’t even a thing. You’d need a grade 6 at GCSE or above in order to enrol onto the A-level course for certain institutions.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by eva_02
so if i change my subject and take chemistry in my year would that be acceptable?
as far as i know most universities dont have a GCSE requirement. and in my school i heard it is possible to take chemistry in A levels even if its not taken in GCSE

I urge you to take GCSE Chemistry.
Reply 5
I urge you to take GCSE Chemistry.

okay so if i take it now(year 11) would it be fine? evern though i have not taken it int year 10?
Original post by eva_02
okay so if i take it now(year 11) would it be fine? evern though i have not taken it int year 10?

You could, in theory, but that would just depend on how fast you grasp the content :smile:
Reply 7
You could, in theory, but that would just depend on how fast you grasp the content :smile:

yeah i dont think i would have any problem in that
but would medical schools accept that?
Original post by eva_02
yeah i dont think i would have any problem in that
but would medical schools accept that?

If you took physics and chemistry in one sitting, yes I’m pretty sure they would - it’s only when you start resitting these subjects that it becomes an issue for certain medical schools.

What are your full GCSE’s?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
If you took physics and chemistry in one sitting, yes I’m pretty sure they would - it’s only when you start resitting these subjects that it becomes an issue for certain medical schools.

What are your full GCSE’s?

Math
English
Biology
Psychology
Economics
Computer Science
Global Perspectives
Geography
Business Studies
Original post by eva_02
Math
English
Biology
Psychology
Economics
Computer Science
Global Perspectives
Geography
Business Studies

Yeah, that’s fine, just try sitting both physics and chemistry and getting at least a grade 6 in all your sciences. You would also need at least grade 6 in English and maths.

For more info about medicine GCSE requirements, read: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2951/entry-requirements-document-2023-entry.pdf

It’s important to also say that don’t just apply to these schools because you meet their GCSE and/or A-level requirements, look carefully at either the BMAT and UCAT cut off for each school and only apply to those that are best for you
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by eva_02

Heya!
Technically, universities usually only require a 6 in maths and English for GCSEs. However, for medical schools, it's better to show that you have taken triple sciences from GCSEs as medical schools are very competitive. As well as this, it will be much harder for you during a-levels since you haven't done GCSE chemistry :frown: A-level chemistry usually starts off by assuming you have taken GCSE chemistry. If possible do take chemistry and physics GCSE if not too late. Also, medical schools do have UCAT/BMAt and interview stage as well during the application process - so make sure to prepare for them as well!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 12
Original post by finfetch
From what im getting you have not still done your IGCSE marks, so i believe there is still time for you to take chemistry and physics.

I'm also applying for medicine and from what i know is that it is nearly impossible to get into a medical university with just one science in Europe. But you can take biology and chemistry only in Alevels and get in easily to a uni in eastern European countries. But if your applying to the UK most colleges require you to take all sciences or take bio and physics.
So in conclusion play safe and try to take minimum of 2 sciences if you plan on taking medicine...

i mean it is possible? don’t bart’s+london allow you to apply as long as you do chemistry and maths, but the gcses part is essential i believe.

Quick Reply

Latest