Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cvqDrvXDADI

Just seen this on TV, really hit me. Most adverts like this don't particularly shock me, I always wear a seatbelt but if I didn't this advert would have definately convinced me to wear a seatbelt !

What does everyone else think?

ReputationRep:
    There has been quite a bit of controversy about it. It was deemed too graphic to be shown before the watershed.

It's apparently aimed at people who don't wear their belt when just "popping round the corner".

I think it's good. Anything to get people to wear their seat-belts is OK by me.

ReputationRep:
    Its a good shock factor, but tbf, the only thing that will convince people who persistently don't belt up to belt up will be to witness the consequences themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Why would wearing a seatbelt stop your internal organs from jumping about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Thats a good point surely not wearing a seatbelt would be more helpful in that respect. The thing i don't understand is why they make such a fuss about it on the TV, but there are still no seatbelts in buses?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah just saw that on TV. Quite shocking.

ReputationRep:
    Initially, I felt you overreatced to the ad. But towards the end, I changed my mind. That was very graphical and certainly would make the person who doesnt wear their seat- belt, to wear it.

ReputationRep:
    The advert doesn't make any sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Thats a good point surely not wearing a seatbelt would be more helpful in that respect. The thing i don't understand is why they make such a fuss about it on the TV, but there are still no seatbelts in buses?
    Buses don't tend to travel very fast though. They're a lot heavier than most of the other things on the road as well. I'm assuming that makes for less spectacular crashes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    I assume, that when you are in a collision, you go forwards with some force. Now if you are wearing a seatbelt, you are restrained from going further (when the belt locks) and the worst you are going to get is external bruising, maybe some tearing of organs if particularly violent a collision. The problem is the airbag. Although they obviously stop your head from become skull and brain soup, they eject also at high velocity. So when your non-seatbelt restrained body goes hurtling forwards, and the airbag comes flying out at an equally alarming speed with a large surface area, the two forces make your organs move forward towards your tummy, and then the airbag bruises them and or tears them when it impacts with your body.

Or something like that. I am most probably wrong though. But airbags are dangerous too. That's why babies can't be put in the front if they aren't deactivated, cos they will just crush and/or suffocate baby.

I saw this earlier. I thought hmm, I wear a seatbelt anyway, but to those who don't, I hope it makes 'em think. Even if some of the info is wrong as people are suggesting, it still makes people worry about their internal organs, so they'd still hopefully wear a seatbelt, which is good.

As Ducki said earlier though, people need to see it for themselves, for real to have that ultimate impact on them. (Poor choice of words, sorry.)

ReputationRep:
    I find http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g-9JR2...eature=related more shocking really =|

ReputationRep:
    that advert made me feel sick

im such a wuss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simpsonsmania)
    Initially, I felt you overreatced to the ad. But towards the end, I changed my mind. That was very graphical and certainly would make the person who doesnt wear their seat- belt, to wear it.
    I know, at the beginning of the ad when I saw it on TV I was just thinking 'Oh know it's another one of these' by the end, I was glad I wear a seatbelt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemily)
    I assume, that when you are in a collision, you go forwards with some force. Now if you are wearing a seatbelt, you are restrained from going further (when the belt locks) and the worst you are going to get is external bruising, maybe some tearing of organs if particularly violent a collision. The problem is the airbag. Although they obviously stop your head from become skull and brain soup, they eject also at high velocity. So when your non-seatbelt restrained body goes hurtling forwards, and the airbag comes flying out at an equally alarming speed with a large surface area, the two forces make your organs move forward towards your tummy, and then the airbag bruises them and or tears them when it impacts with your body.

Or something like that. I am most probably wrong though. But airbags are dangerous too. That's why babies can't be put in the front if they aren't deactivated, cos they will just crush and/or suffocate baby.
    Almost, when you are wearing a seatbelt, you travel less far because, as you said, the seatbelt locks, you then slump over the airbag as your head is heavy and goes forwards slightly but you have picked up no speed as the seatbelt stopped you and so your internal organs stay in the right place in your body.

When you are without a seatbelt, you travel forwards at great speed and hit the airbag, the problem with this is, you've picked up speed as there is no seatbelt to restrain you and as you hit the airbag, it pushes you back, as you said, however, as you can see in the advert, you then fall backwards because your head has been knocked backwards by the extending airbag and so, your internal organs still move forwards because your body has not been stopped, but because your head has been hit backwards by the airbag/windscreen, you fall backwards as your head is quite heavy (where it goes, you tend to follow) this means your internal organs meet your chest...

not very nice I'm sure!

However in a higher speed crash with seatbelt you slump back to the seat as you have more speed from the crash hence why higher speed crashes generally result in internal injuries like those mentioned in the advert.

ReputationRep:
    I saw that on a tv when I was in the pub the other night, it sort of killed the mood a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephrenia)
    I find http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g-9JR2...eature=related more shocking really =|
    I hate that advert gets me everytime!

(Original post by drivingirly2)
    There has been quite a bit of controversy about it. It was deemed too graphic to be shown before the watershed.
    They take that bit showing the internal organs out before the watershed. So you just the crash and hear the dialogue, not the organs inside and what happens.

(Original post by BJack)
    Because a seatbelt has a locking mechanism that stops your body going that far foward. So it would stop you going as far as the man in the advert does. At the most you would have bruising etc.

I've just had a thought, he hit an airbag, so can you imagine what happens if there is no airbag and you have no seatbelt. Doesn't even bare thinking about! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I always wear a seat-belt and always bug those in the car with me to wear theirs too. I love these adverts.

I don't see why some people don't wear seatbelts. o_o It takes two seconds to put one on, what's the benefit of not wearing one?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephrenia)
    That advert has scarred me for life.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.