Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ...........you people who tried to explain how seatbelts worked are just all wrong.............
    Its simple physics

Ft=m(v-u)

if you can figure it out from that there you can get an understanding of it, but i cant be bothered explaining it to you people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Thats a good point surely not wearing a seatbelt would be more helpful in that respect. The thing i don't understand is why they make such a fuss about it on the TV, but there are still no seatbelts in buses?
    They have them in the coaches i drive, quite why they don't feature in buses i'm not sure. Trouble is that a lot of people don't seem to wear them even if they are provided, i think under the assumption the size of the vehicle means they are pretty much invincible. I wear mine, i'm not stupid. A serious coach crash, for example the vehicle rolling over (it does happen - a couple of NX coaches in recent years) can be pretty nasty, but horiffic for those not wearing a seatbelt and indeed those who are wearing them but find themselves in the way of those selfish people being hurled around the cabin along with anything else not strapped down.

Bit of a rant but i feel strongly about seat belts!

Mark

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I really believe that if you don't wear a seatbelt, you must be ******* retarded. I actually refuse to move my car if someone in it is not wearing a seatbelt, and I have been known to ask people to leave if they refuse to wear one. It's the rules, brutha.

ReputationRep:
    That's really gross.

Good message, but still.. ew. :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neurotripsy)
    I don't see why some people don't wear seatbelts. o_o It takes two seconds to put one on, what's the benefit of not wearing one?!
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaterade)
    Buses don't tend to travel very fast though. They're a lot heavier than most of the other things on the road as well. I'm assuming that makes for less spectacular crashes.
    lol, you haven't seen the buses in Aberdeen flying past you in the bus lane when you are already doing 30 then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Higgy90)
    ...........you people who tried to explain how seatbelts worked are just all wrong.............
    Its simple physics

Ft=m(v-u)

if you can figure it out from that there you can get an understanding of it, but i cant be bothered explaining it to you people
    So what you are saying is "people are wrong, but I won't explain why." Hmm... very good :rolleyes:

Edit: lol - best of it is, there's not one post explaining how a seatbelt works.

ReputationRep:
    I have always worn a seatbelt, I was brought up to, and even when no one else is I put mine on, even in taxis. After watching those crash dummy tests on like road programmes, it secures it more. I especially took notice of when people in the back don't wear seatbelts, if there's a big impact, their weight flung forward can kill the person in front of them. I always make sure people wear their belts in my car.

I cannot believe some people's attitudes on wearing seatbelts and I'm glad there's a campaign.

The other day, I was talking to a guy from work, he said he never wears his seatbelt. I asked why, and he said, well if you have to steer quickly in an emergency your seatbelt restricts you.

I was just like :gasp: so what happens when you have a crash and your head goes through the window screen and you DIE?

He just said, well it hasn't happened to me yet.

I could not believe what he was saying. a seatbelt doesn't restrict you at all, you still have your legs to do pedals, and your arms are completely free. It pretty much upset me, because my last manager at my old work, never wore a seatbelt, he was on a 40 road with two colleagues, crashed into a lampost, he went through the window screen and was in a coma for a month. His colleages wearing there belts had minimal injuries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    So what you are saying is "people are wrong, but I won't explain why." Hmm... very good :rolleyes:

Edit: lol - best of it is, there's not one post explaining how a seatbelt works.
    From my understanding of how a seat belt works, he has a point, even if he doesn't make it well. If the seat belt simply clamped you to the seat then you're still going to have some pretty serious injuries - hitting a near immoveable seat belt or hitting a near immoveable steering wheel isn't going to make much difference. Instead, when you have an accident, the seatbelt pretensioner fires, tightening the belt up and strapping you in to the seat, but then allows you to move forwards again, but at a lower speed. This is where Ft=m(v-u) comes in - your mass, initial speed and final speed are all the same, but by increasing the length of time you are decelerating over, you are subjected to a lower force. It's a similar principle with an air bag - it will be deflating by the time you hit it, but it slows you down over a longer period of time so reduces your injuries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    From my understanding of how a seat belt works, he has a point, even if he doesn't make it well. If the seat belt simply clamped you to the seat then you're still going to have some pretty serious injuries - hitting a near immoveable seat belt or hitting a near immoveable steering wheel isn't going to make much difference. Instead, when you have an accident, the seatbelt pretensioner fires, tightening the belt up and strapping you in to the seat, but then allows you to move forwards again, but at a lower speed. This is where Ft=m(v-u) comes in - your mass, initial speed and final speed are all the same, but by increasing the length of time you are decelerating over, you are subjected to a lower force. It's a similar principle with an air bag - it will be deflating by the time you hit it, but it slows you down over a longer period of time so reduces your injuries.

exactly! :p: see? i knew some clever person would be able to expand on wat i said, while i had a well needed mid-friday nap! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    No one is allowed in my car without wearing a seatbelt anyway. It was interesting how they showed the speedometer to make the point that he wasn't speeding as that is all that seems to get drummed into our heads these days.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.