The Student Room Group

Failed a year at med school need help

Hey guys so as the title says, I failed a year of med school and failed the resits as well but due to mitigating circumstances I will be allowed to resit the entire year rather than being kicked out.

I need help figuring out how the student finance will work now? I transferred from Bradford to Leeds Medical School through the Bradford Clinical Sciences route and my course was going to be 6 years anyways.

Does this mean I will have to self fund the entire resit year?

Any help will be appreciated.
Original post by JohnS1945
Hey guys so as the title says, I failed a year of med school and failed the resits as well but due to mitigating circumstances I will be allowed to resit the entire year rather than being kicked out.

I need help figuring out how the student finance will work now? I transferred from Bradford to Leeds Medical School through the Bradford Clinical Sciences route and my course was going to be 6 years anyways.

Your going to have to contact them about your circumstances , sorry
Thread moved into current medical students and doctors, worth having a look around the sub forum - the Med Students society may be able to point you in the right direction. :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17
Thread moved into current medical students and doctors, worth having a look around the sub forum - the Med Students society may be able to point you in the right direction. :redface:

Alright, thank you!
Original post by JohnS1945

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your exams. I think SFE may fund your repeat year (see https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies). But the best options would be to contact student services at your students union to discuss it further (I think it's probably unlikely that they haven't seen this before!) or SFE directly for confirmation.

Also I'd be interested to know what they say :smile:
U get ur entire course funding +1 gift year u shud be fine
Reply 6
Original post by nocheloche
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your exams. I think SFE may fund your repeat year (see https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies). But the best options would be to contact student services at your students union to discuss it further (I think it's probably unlikely that they haven't seen this before!) or SFE directly for confirmation.

Also I'd be interested to know what they say :smile:

Alright thank you, I'll keep you updated!

Original post by Anonymous

Would you know how I can apply for funding to resit year 2? Thanks
Hi
I was just wondering what Leeds Medical is like for example the teaching, the day to day structure and anything else ?
Reply 8
Hi
I was just wondering what Leeds Medical is like for example the teaching, the day to day structure and anything else ?

I am really enjoying the med school so far (only really failed due to mitigating circumstances), the content all links together very well and all the lecturers are super helpful and friendly and invite you to ask them any questions relating to their lecture or their field you want, they even provide you with their emails so you can contact them afterwards if you got a question.

The placements were very good too, the doctors and nurses were all very welcoming and happy to answer any questions you had and would randomly test you on stuff (which I found really useful as it kept me on my toes and made sure I was actually revising and stuff) and they let you get quite hands on with skills very early on. You are given a list of skills you need to get signed off each year which ensures you're actually engaging with your placements as you can fail placements if you don't get everything signed off. During the pre clinical years you do 1 half day of placement every week in year 1 and change rotations every 5 weeks and have 5 rotations altogether with 2 of them being primary care, in year 2 you have 1 whole day of placement every Thursday and 5 weeks of rotations and 5 rotations altogether with 2 being primary care again.

The day to day life is decent too, as long as you stay on top of all the lectures because there is a lot of content (this is true for any med school tbf). If you have got more specific questions about day to day life feel free to ask!

The support at the university is really top notch as well whether you need help financially or mentally or with anything else. They always sign post you to the correct place so you always feel supported.

If you've got any specific questions let me know I'll be happy to answer.

I am not sure that this applies in this situation. I know it does for 3 year undergrads, but for something that will already be 6 years with some on Bursary I don’t think so.

as others have said may need to speak to SFE, your student uni, or poss the med school itself given the transfer in might be able to guide you.

it’s good that they have allowed you to resit. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending