The Student Room Group

How does learning a language work at uni?

I took a module of Mandarin along side my physics at uni, and was wondering how learning a language works there?
I’ve never studied Mandarin before but did take Latin to Higher, French to Nat5 and taught myself (quite badly) Korean and Swedish.
Reply 1
Original post by bxcs
I took a module of Mandarin along side my physics at uni, and was wondering how learning a language works there?
I’ve never studied Mandarin before but did take Latin to Higher, French to Nat5 and taught myself (quite badly) Korean and Swedish.

I’m actually curious too. I hope someone can answer this well. I want to learn French as it could benefit me in the future. I also tried teaching myself Korean, I’m not that bad but I also suck at it at the same time.
The volume of work is much higher and you are expected to do a lot more self-study than at school. I had to spend a lot of time learning vocabulary compared to school, where it all kind of just came naturally to me.
Reply 3
Original post by black tea
The volume of work is much higher and you are expected to do a lot more self-study than at school. I had to spend a lot of time learning vocabulary compared to school, where it all kind of just came naturally to me.

It’s understandable, thanks for the information.
Original post by bxcs

A lot of self-study from year two for Asian Languages. Not worth it if there is no going abroad component...
Reply 5
Original post by Chrisx1
A lot of self-study from year two for Asian Languages. Not worth it if there is no going abroad component...

for me learning the language itself to communicate with my friends' family is more than enough to be worth it. i'd love to hold conversations with their mum.
Original post by bxcs
for me learning the language itself to communicate with my friends' family is more than enough to be worth it. i'd love to hold conversations with their mum.

You'd need to take more than one module to be able to hold a decent conversation with someone if they speak Japanese, Chinese or Korean. So keep that in mind.
Reply 7
Original post by Chrisx1
You'd need to take more than one module to be able to hold a decent conversation with someone if they speak Japanese, Chinese or Korean. So keep that in mind.

i'm going to chinese school during summer next year, and planning on continuing to take it for the rest of my time at the uni in my optional modules (which is allowed i checked the module sheet)

Quick Reply

Latest